• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could use some help w/ a sub $150 motherboard for phase cooling!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Strida

I've been busy w/ work and school and a crazy social life and have really lost touch with what's going on in the computer industry lately so I'd like some help picking a motherboard out here in the sux $150 range. I currently have a BadAxe2 (975x) but I bent the pins and can't get it to work so time for a new board!

Just to outline some things that should go into my decision here:
1) Money is very important for me. I can't afford a board over 150 and would prefer something closer to 100 if possible.
2) Stability is more important to me than overclockability. I don't mind tweaking the bios but I need a motherboard without lots of crazy bugs.
3) Overclocking the FSB is a must. I use phase change cooling and my processor is capable of at least 4 ghz but possibly more, I'd rather not be limited by the motherboard.
4) Overall performance and ease of use. I chose the BadAxe2 because of its great performance at the same clockspeeds as compared to P965 chipsets at the time. While FSB is important, if its performance is poor then what's the point?
5) Insulation for phase change. While not a big factor, if one board's a hell of a lot easier to insulate than another that is certainly something which will sway my choice. The easier to insulate the less likely you'll fry the motherboard via condensation.

Features aren't very important to me. I have a great soundcard so I don't need good onboard sound. My computer is hooked up via ethernet cable for the internet so I don't need Wifi. I don't run RAID so that's not necessary. Really I just need something fast, stable, easy, and barebones.

I'd like to stay away from P965 chipsets (for instance the used Asus P5B Deluxes in the classifieds going for a great price) just because I've heard there's lots of funky performance issues and tweaks to get the board running properly.

My boss has a Gigabyte P35 DS3R that I used to build him a computer so if that's still a good choice in this price range I might go for it since I'm a bit familiar with it by now.

Thanks for the help ahead of time folks!
Derek

Are all of the voltage options/overclockability between the two models identical? The only difference is RAID and firewire? Also is the power filtering/deliver and such the same between the cheaper and more expensive models?

Last edited:
I've done a bit of research on the IP-35E and it looks like I might have cold boot problems with my phase cooling. Evidently it doesn't like booting @ temps < 18C (I'd be posting @ at least -60C w/ my autocascade when finished).

Anyone have more information about this?

dunno never seen any one use a cheap board on phase or ln2...about the only option imo is the IP35-Pro has a MIR at newegg making it 149 after mir. yes though IP35-E and IP35 oc and have the same pwm phase and votlage controls.

the only otherr boards i can think of to try would be the gigabyte's. cause the $100 and under boards from asus have only 3-phase.

But umm this is the key point about that board chrome
I've done a bit of research on the IP-35E and it looks like I might have cold boot problems with my phase cooling. Evidently it doesn't like booting @ temps < 18C (I'd be posting @ at least -60C w/ my autocascade when finished).

Anyone have more information about this?

but ummm sizer well isnt that a risk with any board....lol....if thats the case with abit only the ip35 pro will be no different...good luck strida...you could do some research on the MSI Neo2-FR as well...its a really good o/cer and it costs 120 with a 20 mir from newegg...and comes with a boat load of features of you plan to use them...so would be a good future board for u as well...other thoughts my buddy uses a evga 680i for his phase cooling and it works perfect dunno if u wanna go nvidia though...

Last edited:
but ummm sizer well isnt that a risk with any board....lol....if thats the case with abit only the ip35 pro will be no different...good luck strida...you could do some research on the MSI Neo2-FR as well...its a really good o/cer and it costs 120 with a 20 mir from newegg...and comes with a boat load of features of you plan to use them...so would be a good future board for u as well...other thoughts my buddy uses a evga 680i for his phase cooling and it works perfect dunno if u wanna go nvidia though...

the IP35-pro is a different board, it uses a different PCB then the IP35-E and IP35. the basic boards are more picky about that type of cooling, more costly boards have been put to the test. the IP35-Pro was tested by fugger from XS forums at the CES or CBIT. he was invited by abit to do all day LN2 OCing there, they had the IP35-PRO doing sub zero cooling running for up to 6-8hrs at a time. your tones in some of your posts to others bothers me.. alot of us here, that have been here a long time know alot of boards well from RL/RW usage. as well as from benchers abroad that set world records with and using sub zero temps. The IP35-PRO set alot when it was release on a ealry bios, that doesnt happen alot with motherboards.

my suggestion do a bit more research but before making some suggestions.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=147925&highlight=abit+fugger
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=146738&highlight=abit+fugger

sorry if i seem a bit harsh....

I'm not going to read through multiple threads to see who doesn't like who. If the two of you thread crap antoher thread like this you'll both get a couple days to think about it.

Back