• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Waterchiller???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jim Morbid

Hey

Does anyone use or know of a waterchiller mod that can be used with a watercooling system? At the moment I'm considering just cutting a hole in my res and mounting a pelt in there, obviously with some insulation so that only the contact side is submerged with the hot hit outside the res.

Any ideas on this?

JM

I remember a few ppl tried that. It's not pratical as the chiller is too weak to handle the heatload dumped in the water. The waterchiller is designed to chill non-moving water. This is why when the water sits in the bowl, it's cold. Now once you start moving water thru that bowl, the chiller is useless. Eventually the heat will take over, the chiller not being strong enough to chill the moving warm water will eventually burn itself out.

You're better off using a window AC instead. Alot more work involved tho.

Thanks for the leason Nebulous.

Sorry for the n00b question but window AC?

JM

LOL, A window Air Conditioner = Window AC or Room AC ;)

Inside the AC you have 2 coils (Rads)

1 is the hot one that is outside the window. The other is the cold one facing the inside of the window. There's a blower type fan that pushes air in thru the cold coil and the cold air goes into the room. ever put your hand infront of the AC and feel the air being forced into the room is cold?

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=287576&highlight=Air+conditoner+cooling

There's more info, just check the search function or google.

Last edited:
Yea, a peltier is a very inefficient choice for water chilling. You'd need enough of them to be able to dissipate all of the heat, you couldn't use a radiator as it'd only be a heat source at that point(a radiator can only get you to ambient temps, a pelt will go below sub ambient, but the radiator would end up heating the water back up to ambient temp).

Plus, then you'd need a cooling solution for the hot side of the peltier. So you'd need a water cooling setup just for that.

An AC as mentioned would be a far better idea, alternatively an office water cooler, or even a miniridge would work as well depending on how you set it up.

My question though, is why the need for a chiller? If it's just for the sake of doing it, then go for it.

But if you are looking at doing this for some kind of return, I think you would be much better served either with a more robust loop, or using a Pelt directly on the CPU.

Well heck, if it's for the fun of it, I say go crazy. Gut yourself one of those window AC units as mentioned above, and bolt it to your case all Mad Max road warrior style.

Hahahahahahaha

True but I think I'm going to go for the bong cooling tower, and see if I can attach it to the case (or inside!).

JM

Back