• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Breakdown of Intel chipsets.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Randalthas

Registered
Could someone list a few distinguishing details about the different Intel chipsets?

I'm switching from AMD and am used to choices like NF4 if you want to overclock, Via if you don't. ;) My last Intel chip was a 386.

I'm looking on Newegg and have way too many choices (70 from Asus alone). What are the differences?

G31/G33/G35
P31/P35 - P35 is recomended here a lot. Is it only DDR2? P31 just older?
Q33/Q35
X38/X48 - These look to be DDR3 only.
G965
P965
945/955/975

680i - I understand this is the nVidia, so it's needed for SLI. Doesn't do quads (Need 7xxi for that).

Thanks.

Forget about the others :p You want an P35 or X38 board or atleast an 965P. If going SLI, well you know that already. The X48 isnt out yet.

Both the P35 and the X38 supports DDR 2/3 depending on the board manufacturer. Some are hybrids. Clock for clock they perform and OC just about the same. I suggest that you should get P35 for now unless you're going DDR3 and CF then get an X38.

and the "G" chipset would be matx boards if you wanted to go matx

Not quite. "G" chipsets have integrated graphics. True that many of 'em happen to be mATX boards, but there are some full ATX G-series boards, and some mATX boards that have "P" chipsets.

Chances are you will be looking to get one of the new 45nm Intel CPU's. The QX9650 is the Extreme unlocked multi version that is available right now for a mere $1200 or so. The dual core 45nm CPUs will debut on Jan. 20, 2008 and will certainly be worth waiting the 8 weeks for if the retail versions are anything like the ES chips. The E8500 with its 9.5x multi is mouth watering to me.

Anyway if that is, indeed, your plan, and it should be, than you will only really be interested in two or three chipsets. The X38, the P35 and the X48, which isn't available yet, and most likely will be DDR3 only. The X38 and P35 come in both DDR3 and DDR2 flavors. These chipsets will also run the current 65nm CPUs also.

So, since the X48 is not on the market yet, you will only need to look at two chipsets...X38 and P35. This should narrow things down alot for you. Usually the mobos have a hint in their name that tells you if it is DDR3 or DDR2. The Asus P5E is an X38 chipset mobo that uses DDR2. The Asus P5E3, with the 3 meaning DDR3 is an X38 chipset that uses DDR3.

Good luck

They both support CF. the only difference is if im not mistaken, the X38 can do a full 16X + 16X CF config whereas the the P35 can only do 16x + 4x or 8x + 8x configuration

Back