• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First dip into WC swiftech h20 compact 120 help and advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oc1Kenube

I have bought this kit and am looking to hopefully cool my cpu and gpu but need your advice

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-028-SW

A. is this setup ok to do this
B. Will i need to add a second rad or a 240mm rad and reservoir if so which is best?
C. how would i do this? where would my rad and reservoir go in the loop?
D. what vga block should i be looking to get with my card in sig and this setup
E. Can i use 1/2" tubing even though this is a 3/8" barb setup

Im not ready to go full custom setup yet and am using this as a learning project so please dont say i have wasted my money or i should have bought something else or i will cry unless you really have to.lol

Currently i am getting 65+c load temps on cpu (very warm room because of heating this time of year :O) GPU temps are at 60-70 load but fan is TOO NOISY at anything over 60%

<Edit>

Here is what is what my thinking is for the setup so far
wcroughplan.jpg

Last edited:
A) This will only cool the CPU. Cooling the GPU as well would require a GPU block, and a larger radiator (at least a 120.2 sized rad).
B) Depends on what you want to do. For more than cooling your CPU, yes.
C) Where you put things in the loop doesn't mater. Route things with the shortest, easiest routes.
D) Lots of choices. Maze 4-5 from Danger den, and Swiftech MCW60's are pretty popular.
E) You will need 1/2" barbs for 1/2" tubing.

Check the stickies, yo ushoudl find most of the answers to your questions there.

A. should be fine IMO, pump might struggle a little. I'm not sure how DDCs perform without an aftermarket top.

B. Yes, for an OC'd C2D and a 3870 you will need at least a 240mm rad.

C. Order doesn't matter that much, but preferably pump -> rad -> blocks -> res. Try to keep tubing as short as possible.

D. MCW60 or a cheap Maze 4 from the classies if it will fit (Check compatibility first).

E. Stick with 3/8" tubing, as you cant replace the barbs on that pump/block combo as far as I'm aware.

Are those 65C load temps using that cooler? If so sounds like something is wrong.

IMO, you should of bought something else, but all is not lost, you can still put together a respectable system.

Cheers for quick reply them load temps are with 1.4625v on cpu and this is under orthos load in a room with 2 radiators on full heat so this is just an extreme max temp generally and even in summer it will be much cooler

will a second 120mm rad in the loop be ok rather than add a 240mm rad and res? all tubing is going to be very short so as to help flow and pressure or is it really that much better to just do away with the 120mm rad res combo?

Dual rads work, My system uses a dual rad setup. Bear in mind that you aren't going to get quite the same performance as with the same rad just twice as big. That being said, yo uprobably wouldn't notice the difference, maybe a degree, or two tops.

A.i haven't read anything about that swiftech kit, but swiftech kits are the best, i would go with this kit instead just add a GPU block like the MCW60.
B. if you go with the kit you listed yes to a bigger rad and no to a second res.
C. people will say all kinds of things, i think its a trail and error should you want to find the best loop config, try not use lots of tubing though.
D.they don't really seem to have a ATI Compatibility list so send a email to swiftech about your card and the MCW60 block.
E. you can but it is recommended to stick with 1/2" over 1/4 and 3/8 tubing but i would use 3/8" all around.

Much obliged all i will hopefully have this setup on sunday night, i will post up pics and temps as i get them, although very busy at work at mo so may take a little longer thanks again.

Other peoples input is still welcomed and encouraged btw

oops forgot to add, i have a 2/3 full bottle of uv green Fluid XP. Whats the general thoughts on this? I only ask as distilled water gives me a headache thinking where i might find it.

in Canada, distilled water can be bought at the grocery stores mostly. but you can make if with a pot and pan. put water in the pot and boil it and have a pan/sheet angled into a container. put a fan blowing at the top of the pan/sheet to help condense the water better.

and for the most part i've read fluid xp leave crap in your tubes and is generally not good.

Cheers keep it coming, cant wait to finally take the plunge im doing lots of reading on bleeding and leak/run in time testing and want to go in to this project as ready as possible so any advice is really welcome, im off to bed as it's getting late and bloody cold here in blighty :O)

Since you're in the UK, easiest place to get distilled (well, deionised) water is either a big Tescos or Halfords.

Look for 'battery top up fluid' that's what I use :)

Thanks very much, this a late night for yourself? 5.30AM here :O, so tired. joys of children

12:30AM here, no job, no school, no life up till 3-4AM. signing up for some school later and and looking for a HVAC job with little luck.

Cool, oh i remember those days, 24 hour gaming and carefree....... I am the oldest feeling 28 yr old lol

Yeah, late night. Combination of counter strike and online poker, it's the end of semester at uni and I finished last bit of coursework today so dont feel like sleeping :)

No problem about the water, I remember what a nightmare it was to find.

I have bought these extra bit's to add to my loop, i went for a second 120.1 Thermochill rad instead of replacing the 120.1 res/rad combo with a 120.2 rad res do you think i made the right choice?

1 x Swiftech RadBox MCB-120 Revision 2 - Black £13.99
1 x Thermochill PA120.1
- Barb Size: 3/8" £46.99
1 x Arctic Silver Arctic CERAMIQUE - 2.5g £2.50
1 x Danger Den Acetal MAZE4 GPU Low Profile £25.99
2 x Thermochill 3/8" Barb 3/8" BSPP thread £4.20
8 x 12mm Hoseclip £2.80
2 x 4 x Fan Screws £1.00
1 x Swiftech 3.8" Sleeved Norprene Tubing 2 x 2 ft £6.99

That pump is nearly the same as the MCP350, which has low flow but relatively high pressure. I think you're loop idea will work good. The pump may be a little weak with double rads and double blocks but it should cool your set-up as good as air and lower the noise levels.

What fans are you using for the rads? You'll need good ones ... ;)

Back