• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steve The Egg

Registered
I want to water cool because I'm tired of hearing the roar of my 5 fans in my Antec 900 case screaming at full blast. I want a quiter and more efficient means of cooling....water cooling. I know the basic parts of water cooling, but what I don't know is what are the best parts for my system. I have an Antec 900 case and a Q6600. I want to cool my cpu, my gpu, and maybe my northbridge. For the time being, my budget is about 300-400 USD.

Check the Monthly roundup of best components.

Popular GPU blocks are the Danger Den Maze 4 and Maze 5, and the Swiftech mcw60.

I use the MCW30 chipset cooler for my northbridge.

Last edited:
what video card?

i think this setup will suit you fine is within your budget.

1x Swiftech MCW60 VGA cooler = 43.99
1x Swiftech MCP655 Pump = 69.99
1x D-tek FuZion = 59.99
1x Swiftech MCR 320 rad 44.99
1x Swiftech MicroRes = 16.99
1x Swiftech HydrX = 2.99
10x ClearFLEX 60 Tubing 1/2" ID / 5/8" OD = 7.50
3x YATE LOON 120mm Case Fan = 9.45
if you want the chipset cooler then this too
1x Swiftech MCW30 = 24.99

total = $280.88

The 1/2" Id 5/8" OD tubing doesn't take bends very well. Kinks up too easily.

go for the 1/2" ID 3/4" OD tubing if you elect to use 1/2" ID tubing.

most people will want tygon anyhow but for me it's not worth the extra cash. sa long as the tubing doesn't split i'm fine with the "lower end" stuff.

i fixed my first post with 3/4.

most people will want tygon anyhow but for me it's not worth the extra cash. sa long as the tubing doesn't split i'm fine with the "lower end" stuff.

i fixed my first post with 3/4.

Tygon isn't all it's hyped up to be. In fact i'll be redoing my guide to tubing sticky shortly. Tygon actually has a nasty tendency to stain when using glycol based addatives that we comoonly use (read anitfreeze).

Given it's costs, 3x that of CF60, it's not worth the money.

Also 1/2" Id isn't the end all. Cathar put together a great post which is sticked up top which really lays out just how little difference there is performance wise between the different tubing sizes.

what video card?

i think this setup will suit you fine is within your budget.

1x Swiftech MCW60 VGA cooler = 43.99
1x Swiftech MCP655 Pump = 69.99
1x D-tek FuZion = 59.99
1x Swiftech MCR 320 rad 44.99
1x Swiftech MicroRes = 16.99
1x Swiftech HydrX = 2.99
10x ClearFLEX 60 Tubing 1/2" ID / 3/4" OD = 8.90
3x YATE LOON 120mm Case Fan = 9.45
if you want the chipset cooler then this too
1x Swiftech MCW30 = 24.99

total = $282.28

is the thermochill 120.3 worth the extra money over the MCR320 in this setup?

if you want a huge oc or are a huge oc'er and want to use lower cfm fans and have the cash i would say get it over the swiftech one. but other than those 3 reasons i think the swiftech one is just as good, as i understand it the top rad is thermochill and second to that is swiftech.

if you want a huge oc or are a huge oc'er and want to use lower cfm fans and have the cash i would say get it over the swiftech one. but other than those 3 reasons i think the swiftech one is just as good, as i understand it the top rad is thermochill and second to that is swiftech.
if lower CFM fans would mean a quieter rig at the same performance, then it might be worth it in my case.. hmmm

Back