• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to install apogee on 939 board.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mobile

I purchased a used apogee gt, but it came with no instructions manual. The only info I can find on the web is that I don't need to take my mobo off to mount it as it's 939.

The mounting hardware I have consists of:

4 matching bolts each with a nut and 2 small washers.
4 mini black tubular spacers (about 1" tall)
4 black hexegonal caps that fit the bolt thread
4 clear plastic washers
4 metal washers
2 plastic locking clips

Do I have everything I need to install onto my board? If so, how? This isn't my first time around the block with watercooling, but I can't see how this goes together.

apogee_page.jpg

To get the hight just right on mine, I also used the clear washers on top of the black spacers and then placed the block on them. Set the block on top of the CPU and then slide a spacer into place to see if you need the clear washer or not.

Thank you evilrad.

So I need to order a backplate, and I do need to remove the motherboard to install? That's contrary to what swiftech says on their website...

Thank you evilrad.

So I need to order a backplate, and I do need to remove the motherboard to install? That's contrary to what swiftech says on their website...

As far as I know, all socket 939 motherboards have a back plate. Your current bracket that supports the HSF should be screwed into the back plate via two screws. When you remove the bracket, the back plate should remain in place as long as there isn't a large gap between your motherboard and case. To keep the back plate from falling, just in case the gap is large enough, remove the bracket with the motherboard laying horizontal (flat) instead of vertical (standing up).

Thank you evilrad.

yeah, I'd be pretty sure your board already has a backplate. And you will most likely have to remove the board. You can try doin it without, but the backplate will probably fall down to the MB tray when you remove the current HS. And then you'll have to remove the board because the screws for the apogee are not long enough to reach the backplate after it falls (I've tried). I found that with my DFI Expert s939 board that it was easiest to just tape (or somehow affix) the backplate to the board and then screw it in that way. But you'll most likely have to remove the board.

Ok, thanks for the help. Makes perfect sense. I'll post pic of my build when it's complete!

You do not need to remove the motherboard to install the block. Simply find a nice piece of foam-board, wood scrap, or even x sheets of paper and wedge them between your MB tray/case and the back-plate before you start to loosen anything. That will keep the back-plate wedged against the backside of the MB while you're changing out the cooler. :)

If you've removed the IHS you won't need the extra spacer. But you should follow evilrad's advise on this - check to see what the clearances look like then decide ...

You do not need to remove the motherboard to install the block. Simply find a nice piece of foam-board, wood scrap, or even x sheets of paper and wedge them between your MB tray/case and the back-plate before you start to loosen anything. That will keep the back-plate wedged against the backside of the MB while you're changing out the cooler. :)

That's a great tip QuietIce, cheers.

Back