• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Maximus Extreme a good choice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GTFouts

Since I am putting together a whole new ridiculously insane system, (the more I add to it, the more insane I think I have become), I have decided to go X38 and DDR3. I am asking for some of your opinions since I am in no hurry to put this all together. Here are my choices so far:

CPU - Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Yorkfield 3.0GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 130W Quad-Core Processor

M/B - ASUS Maximus Extreme

Memory - CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400)

Video - 2 x SAPPHIRE 100215L Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported

P/SP - ENERMAX Galaxy EGX1000EWL ATX12V/ EPS12V/ BTX Power Supply

Quite the hefty price tag indeed, but in my opinion, Very Future Proof, I hope.

What I am asking is should I wait for the new releases of 45nm chips or go with the QX9650 and not have to worry about a chip for a long time. I know the non extreme chips will be much cheaper but I have read nothing but outstanding reviews about this chip and how it is untouchable.

Is this M/B one of the better choices for the X38 route? I know Dom has his new Gigabyte DQ6 nice and stable, but I have a hard time moving away from ASUS. Again, the reviews I have read about this M/B are top notch, can't touch stuff.

What can you say about Corsair Dominators, they are top of the line, yet a bit pricey. New Egg has a combo deal for the Maximus M/B and this memory, tho they are not dominators: CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800). I know its not DDR3 1800 but is that really that much of a increase?

I am staying with crossfire because SLI is just ridiculous and not that appealing to me right now. Crossfire is very stable and a hell of alot cheaper. With 2 3870's I think video will be just fine for now. Shame they dont have 1Gb versions. Won't be able to watercool yet, but I am sure DD will have blocks before long. The only ones I can find are Sapphires. Are they reputable or should I wait for ATI to stock them. Also, is there a new video line comming out that I should wait for?

Well, there you have it. Would just like to know your opinions on waiting versus denting my bank account right now. Like I said, I am not in too much of a hurry but I dont want to wait for longer than say 2 months or so, unless it would be well worth it of course. You guys are the experts, what say you?

Back