• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Stiker Extreme Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

defiant79

I'm thinking of ordering this (possibly next week or so).

I'm planning on running the q6600 in this. My questions are as follows:

Will the Zalman 9700 have any problems with the heat pipes around the processor on this board?

Also, asus's website seems to be down right now or something, and newegg and others are conflicting. I'm wanting to run 1066 DDR2 ram in this, can I do that or is it just 800?

Thanks for the help everyone.

no it wont but for the same price at the 9700 you can get a better cooler.

you can run what ever speed of ram you want in the board. the thing is unless the board states 1066 in its specs. it wont run that speed at the cpu's stock 266 fsb. meaning you have to oc the cpu for the ram to run at that speed.

the striker doesnt oc that well compared to the EVGA/BFG/XFX 680i boards on quad cores. EVGA/XFX/BFG all use the NV reference design so when NV did a update to the board the other boards go this update as well. this was done a while go, this tweak/change to the board allowed for better quad core ocing. it doesn how ever oc to the same levels as the P35/X38 boards but for those wanting SLI 680I is what to look at. though in here on the 17th is the rumored new date for 780i boards. if you can wait 3 days to see if they come out do it.

I can wait 3 days I suppose, lol. I just had everything planned out months ago, but my original choice for a motherboard was the EVGA A1, but no one sells them anymore so.....

I think I will go with the ultra 120 for my heat sink, that was also my original choice, I just kinda liked the look of the Zalman better, but with the right fan the 120 is a good choice as well.

I do like the LED lighting on the Striker Extreme, maybe they'll have a new version that has that as well with 1066 DDR2 support. I'm not ready to go to DDR3, to expensive right now, but if the board would support both that would be nice.

Hybrid boards that support both ram's have issues, mainly when upping the voltage to the ram. one person reported on ddr2 that when they upped it to 2.0 it was actually feeding 2.2v to the ram.

really, maybe I'll stick with ddr2 for the time, as long as the board supports newer processors so I'm not buying all this stuff at the end of its life cycle. It'll still be a nice upgrade over my 2.8 dual core and 533 ram that this machine is running now.

well choose if you have the money for ddr3 and go for it. IMO your better off with just ddr2 is so cheap right now its not even funny. ddr2-1000 4gig kits at newegg for $129, thats just nuts!

Back