• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about pump failure.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Laytech

Registered
hey Guys,

Listened to the ocf podcast on watercooling earlier this week and I think it was Scott that mentioned he was using 2 pumps and 2 rads. Im very new to watercooling and I could see his logic in running a redundancy setup but I was thinking wouldn't it be easier to have a cut-out on the system should your pump fail? Rather then forking out on 2 pumps and 2 rads and the hassle of fitting them.

Are there products out there that do this or have people modded one of these setups? Im putting together a system atm and watercooling seems like a lot of fun but pump failure scares me even if I am running a good pump etc.

First post w00t!

Im very new to watercooling and I could see his logic in running a redundancy setup but I was thinking wouldn't it be easier to have a cut-out on the system should your pump fail? Rather then forking out on 2 pumps and 2 rads and the hassle of fitting them.
:welcome: to the forums!!!! :D:D

Not sure exactly what you're asking. Do you mean instead of having two pumps for redundancy, you want to put them in parallel? :eh?:

Hi Thideras - thank you, gd to be here.

I mean I just want to have 1 pump and 1 rad and if 1 should fail, my system would switch off using a cut-out method. As scott mentioned in the podcast he used 2 of each which made me think if there was another way round it?

Hi Thideras - thank you, gd to be here.

I mean I just want to have 1 pump and 1 rad and if 1 should fail, my system would switch off using a cut-out method. As scott mentioned in the podcast he used 2 of each which made me think if there was another way round it?
I don't know of anything that would do that.

Honestly though, it isn't worth the effort. Modern processor will shut themselves down if they get too hot. Most motherboard also have auto shutdown at a certain temperature that you can specify. I ran watercooling since my 3.4 p4....had 1 pump fail. It was a bad bump (quality wise, bad company) and the computer just shut down while I was using it. ;)

Never had a pump fail after that, but I didn't worry about it.

You want your computer to shut down?

Truth be told, if you pump fails and say you are cruising along on you system doin whatever. You cpu will throttle itself down one it starts to hit it's heat threshold. If it get too bad, it will shut it's self down.

So in a sense, you already have a shut down built into your system by means of your cpu shutting i's self down.

On a side note, you'll notice yoru pump went out, before your temps get too horrible. I had a short in one of my power leads going to my pump in a buidl I did a few years ago, I must have played what ever it was i was playing for a good 5 minutes before the slowdown hit.

Ok thanks for the information and for the quick reply :)

One thing I have noticed since researching watercooling is that there aren't too many places to shop for watercooling gear over here in the U.K which is a shame. I am definitely considering going for it with this build im doing.

cheers

cant say i've never had a pump failure before, however, i ahve had bad pumps persae that i kinda messed up myself but in that case, no hardware was taken with it.

both of my machines are watercooled and i have faith in my parts :p

I wasn't sure if some damage could be done to the chip which would then result in a shutdown. What about gpu watercooling? I remember briefly in the podcast scott mentioned some guy had his gpu toasted when he came back from somewhere because one of his pumps failed - so im assuming some gpus dont have this threshold then??

i think the newer cards have thermal management as well.... i'd be shocked to find out they don't but you never know.

pretty much, its at your fault if x part fails, you knew what kind of precautions, warnings, etc for water cooling, just remember water and electronics do not mix well ;)

Ok thanks for the information and for the quick reply :)

One thing I have noticed since researching watercooling is that there aren't too many places to shop for watercooling gear over here in the U.K which is a shame. I am definitely considering going for it with this build im doing.

cheers
chilledpc.co.uk overclockers.co.uk tekheads.co.uk yoyotech.co.uk watercoolinguk.co.uk hope this helps :beer:

Im interested in starting off with a kit and know that swiftech and Zalman are good brands.
What do u guys think of these 2 kits?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-007-ZA&groupid=701&catid=193&subcat=

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-028-SW&groupid=701&catid=193&subcat=1038

cheers
Kits are bad :(

You will be able to build one yourself that will either be the same price or cheaper. It will also perform MUCH better.

The reserator would work well if you want to run stock, but once you start overclocking, you will have issues.

I thought those 2 brands were the best? even if they are kits arent they gd quality? The Guys on the podcast didnt seem to bash the kits as long as they were good.

What do u recommend as a gd quality small radiator (cheap) and pump thideras?

If you like swiftech (I do), check some prices on...

Apogeee GT CPU block
MCP655 pump
MCR220 res
6-10 feet of tubing
Micro res.

That would be a nice performing system. With some head room to ad din a graphics card block at a later date. If you have the room, check out the MCR320 radiator, even bigger.

I thought those 2 brands were the best? even if they are kits arent they gd quality? The Guys on the podcast didnt seem to bash the kits as long as they were good.

What do u recommend as a gd quality small radiator (cheap) and pump thideras?
I have never seen Zalman as the best for watercooling. Swiftech is, but that kit is a low end one ;)

Well, I don't know of any cheap ones. Probably the best one I've seen/used is the MCP655 by swiftech :D

I just did a quick check from one site, and the following can be had for about 111 pounds.

Swiftech apogee GT cpu block
Swiftech MCP655 pump
Swiftech MCR320-QP radiator (built in resevoir)
10' of Masterkleer 7/16" tubing

You would still need to get 3 120mm fans.

Last edited:
What sort of tubing do u recommend? Also if i cant find the apogee water block what else do u recommend? :)

Dtek Fuzion would be another good block to get.

As far as tubing goes, 7/16" to 1/2" inner diamter tubing. With a wall thicker than 1/16"

Clearflex 60 is my perosal tubing of choice these days. Masterkleer 7/16" tubing is really popular. I've neve rused it myself, but there are plenty of people on the forums who do.

Check out my write up of tubing for more info...

ok n1 guys - ill most likely look into a manual setup instead of a kit. It will be a while before I get all the parts but ill let u know how it all went.

Great information - cheers

Back