• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

QC6700 What board to pair with.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gilley7997

Registered
I know everyone has there own preferences and I currently have a Asus board, but I was wondering what Chipset and Manufacturer anyone here would go with if I am looking to doing some real playing with Overclocking, but not trying to break the bank on the board either.

Q6700 dont need high fsb's so any P35 based board will do. a bunch of fav's though for people on the cheap are Gigabyte P35-S3,P35-S3l,P35-DS3,P35-DS3L,Abit IP35-E,IP35. there are asus's that people would suggest but for ocing a quad you need a board with at least a 4-phase pwm for the cpu. as the Asus under or around $100 have only 3-phase pwm. you dont get 4-phase from asus unless you buy the prem/dlx boards.

how much do you want to spend though?

If we could try and keep it near the $100 dollar mark that would be ideal. So suggestions around that price point for a QC6700 would be great. If I have to go higher for the performance options I need though that's fine.

a few of the gigabyte's i listed will work then, the only abit near the 100 mark is the IP35-E, the IP35 is over it. differences being raid and firewire options...

I think I'm going to go with the GA-P35-DS3R Rev 2.0 for this QC6700.

Anyone have any experience with this board? OCing it? I was curious as I want to have some fun with it, water cooled and OC'd - any experience of what numbers I might be able to get?

some people have had that board over 500mhz fsb. with the q6700 if its a G0 stepping it should oc to about the same area as the Q6600's. you might even want to drop the multi down to get a higher fsb, though thats up to you.

Back