• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maximus Formula OC'ing Woes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stilletto

Hey guys, been a while...I am Back.

So I have moved on from a P5K Deluxe to a Maximus Formula. Now I am faced with a perplexing situation....

The P5K was rock stable at 3.51 (e6400) with the memory at 877 (4-4-4-12).
I now have a mess on my hands with this board......

Seems like I am never going to get stable at the same speed. I am currently clocked at 3.52ghz (438x8) and I cannot get more than 30 min stability out of Prime95. Occasionally I will get program crashes with memory addressing errors (windows pop-up) but no freezing or rebooting. I had to push the cpu voltage up past 1.5v to get stable for 30min and my temps are 64 to 65C after 30min of Prime95 when with the P5K I was at 59c at 1.48v.

I cannot boot at 1T period. Has to be 2T.

If anyone is familiar with the BIOS on these boards they are likely familiar with the myriad of choices... Most of them will really have no real effect on the old fashioned raise voltage, test, raise voltage method, but if anyone has a similar setup (I know, probably time for a cpu upgrade, but 3.52ghz is still screaming....) I would appreciate any experiences.

:bang head

EDIT: Ok, so the loadline calibration now has me 1 hr stable at 1.44 volts which is better, but temps are still at 65c!!!

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=168119

Its quite the overkill but since you paid 300$ for this board I suppose you wouldnt mind reading one of the longest threads I ve ever seen.

From what I reckon after reading this thread since I m very interested in this board is that you have to update your bios. The guys from xtremme say u got to udate it but not the latest on cant recall which one though :(

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=168119

Its quite the overkill but since you paid 300$ for this board I suppose you wouldnt mind reading one of the longest threads I ve ever seen.

From what I reckon after reading this thread since I m very interested in this board is that you have to update your bios. The guys from xtremme say u got to udate it but not the latest on cant recall which one though :(

Well, I actually got the normal Formula, not the water cooled version (overkill, IMHO) so I only paid $249:)

Yea, read that thread entirely. Most all have to do with quads. I wish I had good info on that board and C2D's only.

Ok, so I believe I have this board figured out. I have aquired a welath of information throughout extensive trial and error as well as research and am happily overclocked stable finally. THIS BOARD IS VERY FICKLE! That doesn't make it a bad choice though. It is a bad choice for those who are new to the overclocking game, however. The board will run hot, and voltages are the key.
It is not wise to set everything on AUTO for optimum performance.
I will gather all of the data I have collected and post in a new thread soon to help out some people who are struggling.

Back