• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why Can't I Use These 2 DIMMS with XFX 680i?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leftheaded

Just got started my new build (in sig) last night... Installed Vista x64, but crashed several times during the reboot process. I finally tried a single DIMM and got Vista running. But now I can't use both sticks of RAM??? I'm getting a blue screen with a memory dump error when windows is starting up. Is it a voltage issue? Or a bios issue maybe?

I got a set of these 2.1v 2x2GB OCZ SLI-Ready Edition OCZ2N800SR4GK DDR2-800

but my mobo (XFX MB-N680-ISH9) manual says the DIMM slots are 1.8v

I can use either single DIMM in any of the four slots on the mobo. To me that rules out the memory itself or the mobo being the issue. The issue only happens when I use 2 sticks in any configuration.

Just got started my new build (in sig) last night... Installed Vista x64, but crashed several times during the reboot process. I finally tried a single DIMM and got Vista running. But now I can't use both sticks of RAM??? I'm getting a blue screen with a memory dump error when windows is starting up. Is it a voltage issue? Or a bios issue maybe?

I got a set of these 2.1v 2x2GB OCZ SLI-Ready Edition OCZ2N800SR4GK DDR2-800

but my mobo (XFX MB-N680-ISH9) manual says the DIMM slots are 1.8v

I can use either single DIMM in any of the four slots on the mobo. To me that rules out the memory itself or the mobo being the issue. The issue only happens when I use 2 sticks in any configuration.

The default voltage for your DIMMs is 1.8v you will need to adjust this in the BIOS to 2.1v then I think you will be able to use both of your ram sticks...

I had a similar issue on an Abit board...everytime I had to reset the BIOS it would go back to 1.8v on the DIMMs and I would have to remove a stick of ram, go into BIOS and set the DIMM voltage back to 2.1..reboot and then I could shut down, put the second stick of ram in and boot up....it was a massive pain in the backside.

actually, it seems like the issue is the amount of RAM (4GB). I have 4x1GB Ballistix (1.8v) and I can run two of them in all configurations. When I use all of them I get the same mem error at the same point in the windows startup.

My BIOS reports 4GB when it's installed no problems. It's the windows startup that's the problem.

It's vista x64 so I don't know what the issue is? and ideas?

Is this an mobo issue? I have no clue

The default voltage for your DIMMs is 1.8v you will need to adjust this in the BIOS to 2.1v then I think you will be able to use both of your ram sticks...

I missed this reply ealier :beer:

This didn't work when I tried it earlier, but I should check to see if the BIOS got reset. I've updating and rebooting quite a bit.

Windowsupdate.com was current, so that wasn't the issue.

Time to flash the BIOS to the latest version.

EDIT 1: flashed my BIOS to "691N9P31.bin" and my system hung at reboot. powered off, powered on, and still no luck. Changed the mem voltage back to 2.1v (it was reset with the BIOS update). Still no dice.

I'll try to reset CMOS, and if that doesn't work I guess it's RMA time :(

at least one other person was having a similar issue. looks like his RAM issue was fixed with the BIOS flash and upping to 2.1v... no dice for me :(

EDIT 2: clearing CMOS and then resetting the mem voltage to 2.1 worked.

4GB finally lol

thanks for the help gentlemen :beer:

EDIT 3: rebooted again for good measure... same error. I'm going to try bjorn3d.com

EDIT 4: bjorn3d.com was good... that's where xfx techsupport is I guess. anyway, someone pointed me to a windows hotfix (kb929777), and after applying that and making sure I had the latest drivers for the mobo and graphics card, i can finally say it's working.

now, on to overclocking this pos lol :beer:

Last edited:
Back