• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What if...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ASync

Registered
we used quicksilver instead of the normal liquid for watercooling?
As fas as I know quicksilver is a metal, thus better thermal conductivity(300 that is 1,5 times better than aluminium).

Cons: 1)Its poisonus
2)Would need one hell of a pump

*Please dont flame me if this is actually totally stupid*:beer:

Last edited:
wouldn't you needa keep it at its melting point so it doesnt harden? or is this just a liquid metal that never hardens?

In either case you'd need one hell of a pump, and bleeding the loop would take alot of effort.

According to wiki its melting point is 350c and its liquid from -34c and up. What bother me is how thermal conductivity and heat capacity work together.

Concerning the pump since its density is 30% more than waters I suppose I would be 30% more difficult to pump.
However I m no physics/chemistry geek so I can be tottaly wrong

"Mercury and aluminium

Mercury readily combines with aluminium to form a mercury-aluminum amalgam when the two pure metals come into contact. However, when the amalgam is exposed to air, the aluminium oxidizes, leaving behind mercury. The oxide flakes away, exposing more mercury amalgam, which repeats the process. This process continues until the supply of amalgam is exhausted, and since it releases mercury, a small amount of mercury can “eat through” a large amount of aluminium over time, by progressively forming amalgam and relinquishing the aluminium as oxide.

Aluminium in air is ordinarily protected by a molecule-thin layer of its own oxide, which is not porous to oxygen. Mercury coming into contact with this oxide does no harm. However, if any elemental aluminium is exposed (even by a recent scratch), the mercury may combine with it, starting the process described above, and potentially damaging a large part of the aluminium before it finally ends (Ornitz 1998).

For this reason, restrictions are placed on the use and handling of mercury in proximity with aluminium. In particular, mercury is not allowed aboard aircraft under most circumstances because of the risk of it forming amalgam with exposed aluminium parts in the aircraft."

"# Liquid mercury was sometimes used as a coolant for nuclear reactors; however, sodium is proposed for reactors cooled with liquid metal, because the high density of mercury requires much more energy to circulate as coolant.
# Liquid mercury has been proposed as a working fluid for a heat pipe type of cooling device for spacecraft heat rejection systems or radiation panels.." wiki- lol

Last edited:
Nature gave us an abundance of the wonderful and amazing compound known as dihydrogen monoxide (water to use earthlings). I see no reason to put a very poisonus, and dangerous substance into a computer cooling loop when our temperatures are no where near the extreme.

Water already brings temps down near ambient temps, whatever carrier you use, you won't be able to get lower than ambient without other methods of cooling.

Back