• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Updating my BIOS on the IP35-E

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackersabbath

I'm wondering how I should go about updating without a floppy drive. I heard that there is a flash utility you can get from Abit. I have also heard something about doing it with a CD. Which way should I update and how do I go about doing it? Thanks in advance

I flashed my Abit IP35 5x so far and i used the supplied windows flashmenu.I know its not recommended but just set your system to default and you should be fine

its flashmenu, but honastly i would do it the old school way. one cool feature is that you can burn the rom to a cd then hit CTRL-F2 on the bootup. that will start the stored award.exe flash program, then search the cd for the rom. now you might have to do it twice since the built int flash program is looking for a certian rom name. i did that a while back on my IP35-Pro, was cool but a pain since i had to reburn a cd for it to flash.

I've done it via Abit's flashmenu and a bootable usb, although I didn't know a simple ctrl+f2 would've sufficed so I wouldn't have to go through the trouble of making a windows boot disk.

For you people wanting to know, I believe he just means the bios rom by itself on the cd or even on a usb thumb drive and that should suffice for what I think he's talking about using ctrl+f2.

you just burn it as a data cd, just place the file then burn. thats it, you do need a program for burning cd's if you dont have one. there are many free ones out there, hit up download.com

Which file do I burn? These are the ones that came in the download from Abit:
ABITFAE.BAT
AWDFLASH.EXE
M630A_14.BIN
RUNME.BAT

There was a text file that I didn't think would need to be there. This is the v14 BIOS btw

I need to burn a data disk and boot from it?

the .bin files needs to go on the cd. you dont boot from the cd at all... when you hit ctrl-f2 it auto pulls the file from the cd and auto flashes it for you.

i wouldnt try it with a beta bios, in that case either use the floppy or usb to boot for the flash.

Yeah, I am doing the coffee thing tonight. I woke up way too early today because I messed up my sleep schedule by sleeping 20 hours yesterday lol

Ok, sorry for the early bump here but I tried burning the M630A_14.BIN on a CD and when I am booting I hold Ctrl F2 and nothing happens. Do I need that AWDFLASH.EXE on there too?

no the flash.exe doesnt need to be, the board has one on it. you might have to reboot and hit that a few times. it took me 3 tries to get it to start.

Back