• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it possible to avoid !! ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ajaygargnsit

Registered
Well, I have been banging my head, trying to figure out a mobo for my E6750. Sometimes the availability becomes an issue, sometimes the pricing, sometimes a stab in the neck, when I come across a bad review when I am just about to order it !!

Well, hear my latest story. I was about to settle for MSI P35 Neo, when I came across a forum on internet that said that 'some' MSI boards restart when first powered on. Some people say it's absolutely normal, while others say they haven't had this problem ever.

Disgusted, I visited the MSI site, and downloaded the P35 Neo manual, Therein on page 33/91, I saw something interesting :

Clear CMOS Jumper: JBAT1

There is a CMOS RAM onboard that has a power supply from an external battery to keep the data of system configuration. With the CMOS RAM, the system can automatically boot OS every time it is turned on. If you want to clear the system configuration, set the jumper to clear data.

You can clear CMOS by shorting 2-3 pin while the system is off. Then return
to 1-2 pin position. Avoid clearing the CMOS while the system is on; it will
damage the mainboard.

What is it really..?? (I may mention that I haven't bought the system as yet, so may be some of you might actually try this and help me out !!)

Looking forward to replies.

Ajay Garg

What is "what"? The cmos ram? If I'm not mistaken, that would aka bios chip..
All that procedure is doing is "clearing/resetting the bios".. It's a very common activity when oc'n..

I am sorry if I was unclear.

What I actually want to know that whether that particular jumper, would it be possible to avoid the restarting of system when first powered on, since it's supposed to 'automatically boot the OS' .. ?

I am sorry if I was unclear.

What I actually want to know that using the particular jumper, would it be possible to avoid the restarting of system when first powered on, since it's supposed to 'automatically boot the OS' .. ?

"'some' MSI boards restart when first powered on. Some people say it's absolutely normal, while others say they haven't had this problem ever."
This is normal for some. P965 chipsets were notorious for this.
No, you don't have to reset the bios to start up your rig.
Just curious, what made you decide to go the msi route? MSI's aren't the best oc'rs..

"'some' MSI boards restart when first powered on. Some people say it's absolutely normal, while others say they haven't had this problem ever."
This is normal for some. P965 chipsets were notorious for this.
No, you don't have to reset the bios to start up your rig.
Just curious, what made you decide to go the msi route? MSI's aren't the best oc'rs..

yeah, I don't think this is just MSI boards, this is P956 boards. My P5B Deluxe does this as well. But it only does it when you change something in the BIOS. After the next boot, it boots normally. It's really not a big deal. And as I said, it doesn't do it every time, only when you change something.

EDIT: But also I would say that if you are buying new right now, at least go with a P35 or better as you will get a little better performance out of them.

Back