• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm getting a headache....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jblindy

Registered
I currently have an evga 680i sli a1 that I am rma'ing for the third time since Feb. of this year.

I am tired of the constant downtime and my wife is tired of me taking over her computer so I'm going to sell the board and get something else. (I must add here that the customer service at evga is excellent.)

I'm thinking about the p35 chipset. With the multitude of boards available I have no idea what to get. First I was thinking dfi, but then I read about their horrible customer service. Then I read that gigabyte is the best, then I read that Asus has the best offering, then somebody else says that abit is better?? I built my wifes computer with an asus p4c800e deluxe, yeah it's old but it still works a charm, so I'm familiar with asus. Seems like the more I read the more confused I get.

I want something that I can play with. I don't get into serious oc'ing but I like to dabble. I want a board that is stable and most of all I want a board that won't die on me 3 times within a one year period.

I have an e6600, evga 8800 gtx, 4 gig ocx pc6400 ddr2 800mhz, 2 500 gb hdd non-raid, sythe ninja w/ 120mm fan and three more 120 mm fans in a lian li v1000b.

I don't need sli or cf, I don't need raid, I'm not concerned with ddr3 atm, I want something with decent onboard audio. I'm not concerned about upgradeability, when the time comes, I'll just build a new computer and give this one to my wife.

I do like to game.

Money is no concern, I want the best board that will meet my needs and more.

Asus p5k premium would be my choice for a p35.
I'll have to second that. I had the 680i when I found out it won't support the new Quads coming out. I got the P5K Premium and won't ever look back :beer:

Service was great, but I just hated that motherboard.

Asus p5k premium would be my choice for a p35.

2nd on that P5K premium here. Its a rockin' stable and awesome board.

To the OP, any chance you interested in parting with your P4C800 if its a deluxe? Ive got a few old 478 chips Ive been wanted to bench and am looking for that board (if its a deluxe :santa: )

I'll have to second that. I had the 680i when I found out it won't support the new Quads coming out. I got the P5K Premium and won't ever look back :beer:

Service was great, but I just hated that motherboard.

Beat me to the 2nd Thideras. I guess Im the 3rd :p

I'll say that if you want to save a bit of money, just get the P5K unless you need something that's offered in the deluxe or premium.

2nd on that P5K premium here. Its a rockin' stable and awesome board.

To the OP, any chance you interested in parting with your P4C800 if its a deluxe? Ive got a few old 478 chips Ive been wanted to bench and am looking for that board (if its a deluxe :santa: )

Yeah, it's a deluxe, but my wife would kill me if I sold the board as it's a computer I built for her about three years ago, she would be without a computer. It's the p4c800e deluxe with a p4 3.2 oc'ed to 3.6 and it's been rock stable for three years with just a tt volcano for cooling, a bfg 7800 gs and 3 gig of corsair twinx pc3200 (2 512 sticks and 2 1 gig sticks).

Back to my original post, I just got an email from evga today saying that I could upgrade to the 780i board for around 90 bucks. What's the word on this chipset? I'm going to have to do some searching and reading to see if I want to do this.

Is that it? The p5k? Nobody else has any recommendations? Nobody has anything good to say about Gigabyte? What about x38 boards?

Abit IP35 I was unsure of Abit at first but everyone recommended it so I gave it a try. Much better than any other board I've owned.

So is the only thing wrong with dfi boards the customer service or is there something else to consider.

Bah....I've still got a headache!:beer:

Back