• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$90 USD upgrad from 680i to 780i

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deeppow

This info is available via several sources. I just got it via email from eVGA as follows:

"EVGA is proud to announce the 680i Motherboard Upgrade Promotion. EVGA is offering a special (1) one time upgrade promotional program to all of its (122-CK-NF68-XX)* registered customers. This program is for a limited time and will run for 60 days. (122-CK-NF68-XX)* customers will be able to upgrade to the 780i (132-CK-NF78-XX) motherboard for a one time fee of $89.99 USD or €79.99.

What do you get for the $89.99 (€79.99)?
• New EVGA 780i Motherboard (132-CK-NF78-XX)
• 3 Way SLI Bridge ($20 USD €14 Value)
• Free Ground Shipping** ($10 USD €7 Value)
• PCI-E 2.0 Slots
• 3 x16 PCI-E Slots
• ESA Certified Platform
• New Upgrade Warranty (–A1 Limited Lifetime / -T1 2 Year Limited
Warranty)

All products must be registered (http://www.evga.com/myEVGA/) You will need to send in your EVGA 680i Motherboard once you have been approved for this promotion. "

Issues may well still exist related to quad core, see link.

Yup, I agree.

I wish I had known this a couple weeks ago. Just got a 680i RMA from eVGA and could have saved $10 shipping that I'll now spend to turn around and ship it back! :bang head

It is in stock at newegg; the EVGA flavor. Also looks like evga plans on starting a step up program for all their motherboards...

Top right corner.
13-188-024-02.jpg

That is a very good idea on EVGA's part. My brother has the 680i and he is almost definite on doing the upgrade. Now just to talk him into letting me do some OC'ing/benchies on it lol

SAPPHIRE 100215L Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
Item #: N82E16814102713
Return Policy: Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy
Track 1 ASUS MAXIMUS EXTREME LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813131235
Return Policy: Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy
Track 1 CORSAIR 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN3X20481800C7DFIN - Retail
Item #: N82E16820145188
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

there is my newegg order due to all this! Nvidia, don't tell me that a board will support 45nm and then not come through. EVGA and Nvidia; Make it right and an extra $100 is not right, it is wrong. I truly hope this is not to do with Intel-SLI rights and support because there will be SLI on Intel weather Nvidia likes it or not. Nvidia has lost this sale and many others. My $.02.
Anyone want a 680i and a 8800 Ultra check the classies!

thanks for the heads up Deeppow.
ill be holding off for some reviews before i jump tho.if the 780i doesnt offer better headroom than my 680i i wont bother.ill be keeping my fingers crossed for some 500+fsb ocing.otherwise ill just grab a new mb all together :(

Looking at your sig maxfly, I don't see that a 780i or a 500FSB are going to do much for you. Your OC is very nice as is.

Why 500? Is your overclock max out with FSB right now? Just curious, don't mean to be nosy. :beer:

thx man your probably right.im happy where im at but id like to try a bit of 1:1 8x multi ocing to test some memory theories ive been pondering.im fsb limited to 475 so its holding me back unfortunately.i can top the cpu out with a 9/10x multi but i cant top both the memory and cpu out together :( just a pet peeve of mine lol.
then of course id like to play with a yorkie later on.so im hopeful the 780i will top out a bit higher than my 680i.

nothing groundbreaking im afraid lol.just the differences between 500mhz cas5 1:1 2t vs cas3/4 1t and varying speeds.my specific theory is that running 1:1 with cas5 500+ 2t wont net as nice a benchmark as low latency lower speed 1t runs will.ive tested different dividers and higher mem speed and found that it took massive memory clocks to surpass 350-400 cas3 1t 1:1 runs.soo long story short id like to test my theory with 1:1 500+ runs vs 4:5 etc...

well I stumble into the mobo section to read up a bit. I am running a xeon x3210 at 3.5 on my 680i. So far I love it , the system does everything I need it to do with an 8800gt

Now I see that the 680i will not support 45nm quads in future. I also see most are sayinh wait till the 790 series is out but with the step up offere I got from evga I am wondering should I move to the 680i. I realize the 680i will support the 45nm dual cores but no quads and I doubt I will go back to dual unless I have to I just found the 90 cost to be a bit high to step up but at least I get quad support if I move to a Yorkie in the next while, just don't know if it is really needed....

Man if you fall out of the loop for a bit you can just see the madness in computer gear, lol

I am interested as well. But do we have to ship our board to EVGA itself right? I bought my board from Newegg, and dont want to have downtime. I know EVGA's website says it is on backorder. That means its gonna be a lot longer downtime. Can we do an RMA via Newegg or we have to go directly to EVGA?

For those who are dead set on keeping an nVidia chipset (SLI users for example) this is an alright deal. If you are using just a single card and looking for 45nm support I'd say grab one of the refurbed or MIR Abit P35 boards that have been hovering around or below the same $90 price point. You'd get full 45nm support and higher FSB OCs. On top of that you'll have a backup (or second) mobo to use for other things. Other than SLI there is not much of a reason to spend $90 upgrading to this board.

Still, I'm glad evga offered something like this. I feel for the people who bought a 680i board hoping for 45nm just to find out the support will be flaky at best.

Back