• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3-way SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dop3y

I was wondering if you had to have the new 780i-SLI board in order to run a 3-way SLI. My motherboard has three 16X PCI slots and was wondering if i could run three cards on that? Also could someone run three 8800GT on this motherboard i have if you can even run three 8800GT in SLI mode? The motherboard i have is an Abit IN9 32X-Max. If someone could please let me know that would be great.

Thanks in advance
Dop3y

You can only run Tri-SLI on either a 680i or 780i board with 3x8800GTX or Ultra cards .. You can not run Tri-SLI with 3 8800GTs or any other card because they don't have the double SLI connector like the GTX and Ultra cards do ..

Your board is a 680i board .. So if your running Vista you could run Tri-SLI ..

Ok thanks that answers my question. Looks like imma upgrade to either 8800GTX or Ultra. Which would be better for the money? Ultra or GTX? Sorry im new to this whole sli deal as i have only had my sli set up for like a month or so.

Thanks
Dop3y

Others may disagree here but I'd say GTX ... Both are the same hardware wise from what I can tell .. Its just a difference in clock speed ..

the Ultra uses a another core, so theyre not the same, and the ultra will reach higher clocks if you can cool it

Back