• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Info on VH6T

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theflyingrat

I'm mildly interested in building a Tualatin Celeron system....just seems like it would be a fun kind of thing to do, with the vid-pinning and all that good stuff. Apparently, some peeps are getting some fine yields from these, so it seems like a good return for the money.

I'm interested in one board in partucular due to its price and potential performance - the Abit VH6T. I don't mind VIA chipsets at all, so that's no big deal to me. What I want to know is whether or not the BIOS for this motherboard has all of the requisite Abit tweaking goodness....vcore (effective for Tua's), FSB in 1MHz increments, etc.etc.... Or is it cut down to only a few FSB options and meager voltage capabilities?

I think Pinky can sum it up better than I can, but I'll start.

The VH6T is pretty much a bang for the buck Tualatin supported motherboard. Whether or not it will require a bios update for the board to recognize the Tualatin, I don't know, but all should be well with this one. Since it utilizes Softmenu III, you should have a full range or goodies to overclock very nicely. I'm sure the VH6T is no different than most Tualatin supported boards that I've encountered in terms of vcore, because the highest setting will be at 1.6v. You'll need to do the wire trick to reach higher vcore options. FSB can also be user defined, by 1MHz increments. I'm starting to relate this model to the ST6 so I should stop here, but you should expect alot of the same features of the ST6 on the VH6T.

With a bios update the VH6T is an awesome all around board. The wire wrap gets you close to max for voltage which is about all you'd want to push through a tualatin with air cooling. Has all the features you want and a few more ;).

There are other options available, Gigabyte makes a board that looks increasingly promising... also wonder if getting a 1.1 or 1.0 tualatin celeron would yield better results, assuming your system can take 150fsb.

Most of the components I'd put into this system would be able to handle 150FSB easy, so no problems there. I was considering a 1.0 or 1.1 Celeron, but I think for the relatively poor performance (keep in mind; my everyday machine is nearly a 1.6 Thunderbird) would keep me away from them. The 1.2 seems interesting, since its only the slow FSB (but we know how to fix that, don't we? :D) that holds it back at all.

If you're really insane like me, see if you are able to hold out until the last Tualatin Celly comes out. If it's at 1.6, 1.7, there should be little problem jacking it up to 2GHz :D Unfortunately, the upgrade will be a dead end if you decide to upgrade again, since you'll have to start with fresh components again.

Bonka said:
If you're really insane like me, see if you are able to hold out until the last Tualatin Celly comes out. If it's at 1.6, 1.7, there should be little problem jacking it up to 2GHz :D Unfortunately, the upgrade will be a dead end if you decide to upgrade again, since you'll have to start with fresh components again.

I don't think the core will actually make it that high, but a 1.6/1.7 ghz Tualatin celeron chip is probably the cream of the crop and might make me eat these words... for now I don't know anyone who's got one running that fast...

and actually, the lastest bios allows for 1.53 mhz tualatins and no higher multipliers than 16 (I think...)... so I think they intend on 1.6 being the peak for the celeron...

Back