• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't figure out why my system reboots constantly at first

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WinstonSmith

Registered
I have a P5K Deluxe and a q6600 processor using Vista Ultimate 64.

I have B3 stepping and OC'd to 3.0 and things ran nicely for a couple hours. The system spontaneously rebooted and got the message that the OC failed. I returned to the defaults, and the next day I started the system. The power came on for a second, then stopped. It attempted to reboot again and again. Each cycle was just a little longer and after a dozen or so false starts it posted and was OK, but got the "failed" message again. I removed the memory and unplugged my 4 hard drives and tried after letting the system sit for awhile. Same thing. I then flashed the bios from 601 to 603. Same thing.

The only thing I can think of is the processor or MB, because that's pretty much all that's left except for the vid card.

Any ideas?

A little more info, I have a 650 watt Power supply and when I checked the core temps via Speedfan (adding a 15C to the readings to correct an issue I read about) I never got above 62C on any of the cores.

In the BIOS under Hardware Monitoring, what's shown for both the CPU VID Control (Vcore) and DRAM Voltage Control (Vdimm)? Also, what's the VID of your chip (as seen in CoreTemp)?

One of the puzzling things is that this started after the OC event. Beforehand, it was OK. I didn't push the system so hard that anything should have been damaged, or at least I wouldn't have thought so.

That's the lowest VID I've seen for a Q6600. Just a few more questions... I know you mentioned having returned to the default BIOS settings, but have you tried resetting CMOS, then loading Optimized Defaults (depending on the switch(s) used w/ the BIOS flash file, CMOS may or may not have been reset)? After each BIOS flash did you re-enter the BIOS and load Optimized defaults... subsequently hitting F10 to save, then entering Setup once again to change only those settings necessary to POST and load Windows? What memory do you have installed, how much, and in which slots?

I've not reset the CMOS. I can certainly try that. When I flashed the bios, I went in and checked the settings. Everything is "auto" which I assume is default. I'm using Supertalent memory 2x2 gigs for a total of 4 (I have two more waiting to install for a total of 8- I manipulate very very large image files in Photoshop and other programs concurrently). They're in the yellow slots (first and third?)

BTW, no matter how this goes, I appreciate your help. It's not been easy finding a place or person who has been able to help at all. Much appreciated.

I would definitely try resetting CMOS using the onboard jumper, including removing the battery for a short time ((first remove the battery, move the Clear RTC RAM jumper cap to the Clear position (normally moved from the default position of 1-2 to pins 2-3, but check your MB manual to be sure), after about 1 min. reposition the jumper on pins 1-2, then reinsert the battery)). You might also want to remove one stick of RAM at a time, and run Memtest86+ on each stick individually... this after resetting CMOS.

I apologize for something. I looked back at my original post, and I failed to note that this happens when the system is cold. Once warm there is no problem. Let it sit for an hour or two, and it's right back to cycling.

I haven't a spare I'm afraid. I am within the time limit to RMA the board and power supply. Perhaps I should do that. It's too late for the CPU (had 7 days for that).

Update: Replaced the MB, and the same thing. Getting an OCZ (PC Power & Cooling 750 watt quad crossfire PSU. I'll let you know how this goes.

Back