• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My stab at watercooling....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Speed_Freak

It's been a long time since I've been to ocforums. During college I had not the time nor the money to build a new rig, had to just live with the laptop. But now that I'm graduating and becoming a "big kid", I have a slight bit of money to burn. I've always wanted to get into watercooling, so I decided now is as good a time as any! Here are the components I've ordered via our friends at newegg after I completed my research (it should be noted that I could not completely shed the poor college kid habits and still strived for a good performance to dollar ratio):

Mobo: ABIT IP35 Pro
CPU: Q6600
VGA: Leadtek 8800GT
PSU: OCZ 700W GameXStream
RAM: 2 x 1GB PC2 8500 DDR2
Case: Antec P182

The watercooling components I've ordered so far:

Pump: Swiftech MCP655-B
Rad: Swiftech MCR-220
Res: Swiftech micro-res
CPU Block: Swiftech Apogee GT

I have not yet decided on which GPU block to use to cool the 8800GT, to be completely honest, I'm not even sure what will fit. Guess I still have homework to do. If anybody has any suggestions that would be much appreciated.

The overall goal is to have a cooling solution superior to air that will allow room for overclocking should I desire it. Ideally the setup should not be too noisy and also be aesthetically pleasing(hopefully I can fit everything in the case). The last requirement will most certainly require case modding, but thats what the drill and dremel are for no?

The parts should be here early next week so I'll get to work on it once christmas is over. I'll be sure to post my progress and document everything with plenty of pictures. Until next time....

double thread poster!!! haha get the mods to delete your duplicate thread.

anyway looks like a nice setup, though i would go with a Apogee GTX or Dtek Fuzion for a quad core. and if you plan on adding a gpu in the near future i would up the rad to the MCR320.

what fans are you putting on the rad? and what tubing are you going with?

i would go with some inexpensive yate loons, great fans.

The watercooling components I've ordered so far:

Pump: Swiftech MCP655-B
Rad: Swiftech MCR-220
Res: Swiftech micro-res
CPU Block: Swiftech Apogee GT

I JUST finished, like 2hours ago assembling that same setup.

Right now I'm very happy with it. I had the H2O stuff other than some fans, micro-res and the "how the hell am I going to do this" ready to go about a year ago and finally got around to building it up.

I have two of these blowing thru the rad

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200028

Right now with two of them at 2700rpm it's quieter than my stock air cooled setup on kill. I'm down 20°C or more on the cores, the thing is MUCH more stable and I'm running a tad faster right now.

Do lots of research on all the parts you put into it.... the larger rad is a good idea, especially if you are putting more blocks into the system.

I wanted some variable speed fans with some LED lights on them so I didn't get the Loons, but they are super quiet fans with awesome airflow for the sound level.

Bret

Thanks for the tip guys. I just got my computer assembled and running (stock air cooled for the moment until I get the rest of the WC components). I still haven't quite decided on a GPU block. Also, will a 2 x 120mm rad work with a GPU? I know you suggested the 3 x 120mm Spawn-Inc but problem is...I already got the 2x120 in the mail. I guess I can had a heatercore or maybe just another small rad to the setup? Now the the holidays are over, I can finally get to assembling this beast. Let me know your thoughts, happy new years!

Actually, I'll give the 2x120 a shot...if its too warm I'll try feng shui'ing some sort of extra radiator capabilities.

Oh yeah, im going with 1/2" tubing.

Try this out!

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=151627

I'm at a flow of 1.84GPM and can go to 2.0GPM if I crank up the pump. If I added in a Swiftech MCW-60, another foot of hose and turned the pump up to max I would be at the same GPM I'm at now. So I don't think your going to be that bad with the setup.

I have 4ft of 7/16th's tubing in there as well. It fits better than the 1/2" on the 1/2" barbs.

Bret

Back