• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual E6600 or Q6600 (Do They Make)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrTurd Ferguson

I've always had AMD processors. I have been thinking of building a computer but this time going with an Intel processor. I was wondering do they make a motherboard that lets you run dual E6600 or Q6600 processors?

I assume the Q6600 is the better choice between the two processors, as I know nothing about either. Nor do I know much about picking computer hardware either. I've ask for suggestions in the AMD section for building a new computer on that platform and now I'd like to ask the same here for Intel.

If you can't build a dual processor Intel board using either of those two processors, what is a good motherboard for the Q6600 that'll let you overclock easily? What would be a good choice for the RAM also? I suppose the favorite video card is the 8800GT series and I think that is what I'll use.

Thanks!

If you are not running SLI then a abit ip35 pro is a great single processor board.

Intel is coming out with dual processor boards called skull trail.. but I think they decided on using socket 771.

Dual socket 771 motherboards are plentiful and you can toss in a couple of quadcore xeons... but you will need to run FBDIMMs which are ridiculously expensive.

Dual socket boards are server hardware, so you'll need different RAM (EEC Fully buffered), and will not be able to do much overclocking.

ECC FB RAM is really not that terribly expensive anymore; 2 X 1GB Kingston branded high end with heat spreader is currently going for $113.00

A couple of things to consider when looking at the 771 platform:

1. The level of quality, and hence reliability and longevity, is typically much higher than consumer products
  2. The ability to overclock with motherboards from Supermicro and Tyan is essentially non-existent.

If you'd like to overclock, the ASUS DS series have been seeing some great OCs, especially with the Woodcrest processors.

Keep in mind that even though the prices have come down considerably, you'll typically still spend 2x what you'd spend for MB and RAM for a consumer-level system. But then again, you get what you pay for. ;)

The Q6600 is definitely the better choice over the E6600. With the Q6600 you're getting two more cores plus 4MB more cache for only $40 more.

Ok, so what you're saying is I can't build a dual Q6600 system? So I'm stuck with just one Q6600 which I suppose is still a good thing. So I guess it boils down to either the Asus or Abit board? These are the only two that I really place any faith in...most of the others I know nothing about. So to me, they are like buying "off-brand" boards but I do understand that is not the case. I've been messing with computers for awhile and built just a few systems myself. But I consider myself a newbie and consider my skills to decide what I need to still be at the newbie level also.

That is why I'm asking. So we'll say the Q6600 is the processor I'm going to use. So which mobo would work best for overclocking? Which one would be the best user friendly if you're a newbie or D/A...haha. Then what would be the best overclocking friendly ram to use? I am pretty sure the 8800GT series video card is where I'm headed, unless someone offers up a better suggestion. I'll also assume around 900-1000+ watt power supply would offer plenty of growing room as well. And I suppose onboard audio will work fine without having to tie up a port for a sound card?

Which would leave me with cooling. The old Athlon system I had before, I had a terrible time keeping it cool. The Antec Sonata case didn't offer much help to me either. And I believe this time around I'm going with a P180 case. Not sure about that yet though, the Nine Hundred case just doesn't draw my attention for some reason. I appreciate you guys trying to help me.

Thanks

I wonder how often you upgrade your system? Do you plan to run just one 8800 card?

Any P35 or X38 chipset based motherboard would do you fine if you do not plan to run two 880 cards in SLI. If you plan to run SLI then you will need Nvidia chipset motherboard. 680i boards are available, but I think the new and improved 780i is due to appear at retail stores soon.

Some people complain about the onboard audio, while othrs say it is fine. I actually never tried it on any of my builds! - LOL - Just try it and if you don't like it, then buy a soundcard later on!

Keeping a quad core Q6600 cool is a task - not a huge task, but a task. It grows into a bigger task when you apply an OC. I think the newer GO stepping chips run quite a bit cooler than the B stepping I once played with. The most popular air coolers for 775 socket are, in no particular order:
Zalman 9700
Tuniq Tower 120
ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme aka TRUE120

Just make sure one of these beasts will fit inside your case!!!

GL

I'm leaning toward the P180 Antec case. Hoping that it'll be an easier case to cool than the Sonata that I had before. I am not a big upgrader once I build something. If it serves it purpose and if it works for what I like to play and do, then I let it stay. I'm not sure whether I need dual video cards cause I don't play that high-end of games anyway. So I can probably get by with just one good video card. I'm only building this now cause my other one was stolen.
I'm thinking seriously about water cooling, wouldn't that help with the cooling issues? I know most all of this stuff is "easier said than done". From what little overclocking I've messed with, I do know it is not just a "click this" or "change this to that" thing. I know there is work envolved and a lot of trial and error.

So you're saying just pick whatever board I like as long as it has either of those chipsets?

The Asus P5K (P35) series is a proven great OC'er for the Q6600. I'd get the highest end version of that board you can afford.

If you wanted the X38/X48 they call it the P5E, which is virtually the same. A couple extra's you probably wouldn't notice. They don't OC any better, that's for sure, no worse though. You'd basically get it for PCIe 2.0, but that is overkill at this point.

Yup...basically any board with either the P35 or X38 Intel chipset. There are a couple Asus boards as well as an Abit board mentioned in this thread. You will not go wrong with any of these suggestions.

I do, however, wish to throw another kink into your thoughts. With the newer 45nm Intel CPU's due to hit the market in a few short weeks, I see no reason to buy a Q6600. You don't mention a budget, but I believe the E8500 will be comparative in price, will run cooler, will be more energy efficient and will most likely OC quite a bit better. With very little software/game support for 4 cores..is it necessary?

To me the answer is no, not with the Q6*** series anyway. They run too hot, and are not very efficient. Once the 45nm quads come out, then we have a different story, but they might not be here until March.

Just my opinions.

Personally, I am waiting on the E8500, so I can hopefully get my 4ghz w/out the need for phase.

Back