• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P4C800-E only posts once after clear Cmos

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fritzman

Okay...

Found an old (didn't have a cmos battery in it, so found one and put it in) P4C800-E board and paired it up with a Precott 3.2, a duall DDR set of OCZ ram and other bits incl a 64Mb AGP card.

Booted fine, setup the BIOS the way I wanted it, and did the XP-Home install. No prob's. Installed the .inf, sound, Intel Pro Lan stuff off the CD and found that the onboard NIC was showing a problem.

Tried inserting my flashdrive, and no matter which port... the light on the drive would momentarily come on as I slid it in, but would then go straight off and stay off.

Thought the BIOS might be buggy, so downloaded 1023 I think it was, and flashed that (using the Asus Update tool). Still didn't sort out either the USB or NIC issue, but now, the board won't post unless I clear cmos each time.

Do that and hit F2... every time it will go straight into windows. Try hitting F1... make some changes and it won't post.

I'm thinking I should use Afudos and re-flash, maybe with a different BIOS, but would value any input, as I'd really like the onboard NIC & USB ports to be functional.

+++ edit... wierdest thing... I disabled the onboard NIC in windows, and turned the machine off. Put in a Netware based NIC and she started up just fine. USB even works. Wierd.

Still hoping someone might have had this sort of bother and found an answer though.

B

Last edited:
Remove any other PCI cards and try again .

About the NIC you need fresh drivers from Intel's web site , the file called as PRO2KXP.exe .

I would advise you, to buy a new battery for the Bios.
The Bios flash is not that important , but you can use the latest 1024.001 , its totally stable .

Other than that , the PSU must be also a good one , one good quality 450W its a must have !! for this board .

Thanks guys... I'll keep trying and be back (prolly in a few days)

I have a P4C800-E Deluxe and I bought a new mobo because Vista and it weren't looking good together. An extra core etc. is a nice thing too. Its a fraking good mobo, no doubt. But anyways I am trying to install XPPro on this P4C800-E Deluxe now, and I had put it away with no ps and a 95% dead 2032 battery for a few months. I reassembled all the components and actually got the XPPro installed once. Then it wasn'r stable. I went through the motions of re-installing this new XPPro a dozen times and all kinds of problems started. The HDD formatting wouldn't complete (99%); files were missing (a handful on different occasions); text on blue screen "STOP.... to protect from damage"; enter into BIOS but wouldn't fully boot; and then it cold started (now eventually only) after CMOS reset to automatically only text on screen "searching CD (& floppy) for the (flash) P4C800ED.ROM", reading file, but it never finishes. Now all CLR CMOS results in a circular cycle of the automatically looking for its flash file and it never finishes writing (or an error), never gets past searching, never gets to POST or BIOS setup screen. I think it has now been powered off in the middle 10 times. I know- don't tell me don't turn power off during flash. That is not the cause of the problem now, it is the only solutuion. It stops searching (either a tthe CD of floppy depending on where the .ROM is!), but never does write itself. With no file in either drive it repeats thge text "searching for....CD/floppy /CD/floppy" etc... And wait forever. Restart. Same thing. Forever. It imploded. Is it BIOS?

So it went from bad to worse, and I wonder if it was the BIOS all the time. Or if there was something else wrong with the mobo, such as caps. I checked the other components. Its today at a guy who advertsises locally to flash BIOS chips to see if he can diagnose.

Have you any comment on whether it (this/your) mobo could be going flaky?

I think my board is a bit similar to yours... I'm going to give up on mine now... it was put away like yours for a while, and I've found another board that needs an upgrade, so I'm moving the cpu into it.

Good Luck.

i GOT IT BACK TODAY. tHE GUY said he reflashed the BIOS which obviously had been screwd, and he said not only was he in the BIOS setup screen, but he HDD'd it with his own and an OS was up and working. Its not a whole new BIOS chip, avail at asus. Got number () $25 all incl, $35 CAD for me in Toronto in Canada. $10 with this guy (gave him a bonii, er you know), gotta love it. But whatever it was he said he fixed it. I'll be booting and let ya know tonight or tomorrow.

well it worked for a while. Then gave me ocassional Blue SOD. Now searching for flash file again. Need replacement mobo in Toronto. Trade for ATI Radeon 64 MB DDR vivo AGP 4x?

OH forgot to mention. The onboard LOM LAN was gone completely disappered since I got it back. Options there and played with in BIOS. I was using a pci nic.

well it worked for a while. Then gave me ocassional Blue SOD. Now searching for flash file again. Need replacement mobo in Toronto. Trade for ATI Radeon 64 MB DDR vivo AGP 4x?

OH forgot to mention. The onboard LOM LAN was gone completely disappered since I got it back. Options there and played with in BIOS. I was using a pci nic.

Mate... that's exactly what mine did... onboard NIC just disappeared... I wonder whether that's the first sign of a real problem with (something else major) the board?

I've binned mine.

i looked through the ca.asus.com forums and I was trying to find similar problems, but the grouping of facts just wasn't exact, but bits and pieces of problems, so it'd be hard for me to say exactly whats wrong, and even if there are solutions.

I'm gonna put an interesting link here in a minute: from http://cgi.ebay.com/Asus-P4P800-Del...ryZ44943QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"(P4P800 Deluxe) My friend had the same problem on his same model motherboard not too long ago, and the Asus folks replaced this N-MOSFET AP9915H at location Q88 (as described in the RMA record paperwork sent back to him). "

just a shame now I have to source JUST a 4 RAM slot (majority ar 2 or 3 ) DDR400 (C series P4) mobo for my spanky Enermax $111 465W ps etc., etc. Used (where), new (how much), w/o os & o/.... When I just want to, and would be happy to, spend $30 for circa exact mobo, but runs into details.... I'm sure theres hundreds but just how to find them (here).

Not to mention I am hardwired like a spreadsheet and this will drive me freakin' nuts fast. I have been to a couple of pooter store places that have parts (used and new) all over of all types collecting dust. its just finding these stores, cause its hard to search the internet, theres no category or listings, I may have to drive, if they are there still, and which ones. I wish I knew of a huge dump store (in Toronto). You could go in with one set of hw, walk out with something completely diff, leave what you want, and they charge you when you leave.

Last edited:
Back