• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any Intel chipsets (45nm QC) going to have two or more full speed 16x PCIe slots?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
Any Intel chipsets (45nm QC) going to have two or more full speed 16x PCIe slots?

I don't care about SLI so much but I'd like two full speed 16x slots and perhaps a third 4x or better slot for an Areca RAID card.

I might consider nVida but only if they are stable and OC as well.

I eventually want to have a 3 monitor setup and I'd like full 3D acceleration of both cards/monitors.

PRetty sure the Blitz Formula

Along wiht must P35 or X38 units
Intel® P35/ICH9R

PCIe 8x + 8x with Crosslinx Technology

Not true 16x + 16x

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?id=2364&cid=6&pg=10
There is the matter of the upcoming Intel X38 chipset though. By the time the Blitz Formula starts making its rounds, the X38 should already have arrived as well. And since the X38 will feature native full speed dual PCIe x16 support, it remains to be seen if the lifespan of the Blitz series will be short-lived.

Last edited:
FYI: When running SLI you can NOT have more then one monitor on at a time. However you can turn on and off settings allowing you to run more than 1 monitor, you just don't get the full effects of SLI mode. With that said, some games run better when SLI is turned off... Don't ask why because I do not know, but we've tested a few games at my house and that just seems to be the answer.

Foxconn X38A

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Motherboards/detail_spec.aspx?ID=en-us0000355#

200710151010090859_X38A.jpg

Hmmm... Three 16x PCIe slots (black slot good for a RAID card perhaps)

Uses both DDR2 or DDR3

Too bad all of that colors make it look like Walt Disney and Andy Warhole got together to design it!

Other than that I am sure it is a fine board!

I don't care what color the hardware is as long as the images on my LCD monitor look good LOL.

I've been eyeing the foxconn board myself, but I'm too nervous the ram won't clock well as it's a mixed mem board, otherwise a good layout for a tri crossfire setup :)

If ya look at Newegg's Intel motherboards and use the advanced search option to select PCI Express, you can request boards with 2X16. Obviously not all the boards that might do it, just those Newegg sells.

I'm running an Areca RAID card on second slot of my P5E. :beer:

Audio, the Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 is a DDR2 board that has 2 full X16 PCI-e slots on it. Unfortunately it doesn't have 3 full size slots on it just 2, along with 3 PCI-e X1 slots. I have one under the tree waiting for tomorrow. I see that Newegg doesn't have them any more, unfortunately, just the DDR3 version of the board.

That Foxconn X38A board hangs that third 16x (4x signal) slot off the south bridge and that should work OK for an Areca ML RAID card.

It doesn't OC as well as some of the more popular boards ~430sh but 400 would give me 3600MHz on a Q6600 with the full 9x multiplier.

This just would be a place holder until a better Nelham based dual socket workstation comes along in a couple of years.

...Maybe several years now that Intel can sit back on it's laurels again while watching AMD slowly sink into its own pool of red ink/blood. :rolleyes:

Back