• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buzzing board syndrome

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

a9249

Registered
My mobo buzzes, hums, or whatever you call that highpitch whine that comes off it when stressed. it isnt loud, i can only hear it when the 9 fans turned down, or im doing something ram intensive (like say rendering video to high compression codec).
i have about a 13% overclock (fsb 226) running stable with AVID; I CAN push to 4.2 if the room is cool enough and im running a stable game. (buzzing considerably worse at this speed)
my board is FULLY loaded, as you can tell from my sig
the question i have to ask is .... is this a bad thing or normal for this series?
and how long do you guess before it blows? (since prescotts do draw quite alot of power......

no, upgrading to 775 is not an option as it means the replacement of the core parts. i cant afford that, already been there BEFORE i got shiny new gpu :)

thanks guys!

well if your sure its not comming form the mobo (more specifically im worried about the capacitors with somuch power demand for the cpu) im fine with that. i just wanted to know where that buz was comming from. as long as i dont pop a capacitor im happy!

well open your case and find out where it is buzzing from

if you find it then you HAVE to replace it because it will eventually go (possibly within weeks)

and yes mobo's do buzz too

also check your voltage regulators

and yes mobo's do buzz too

I like to believe you , but as electronics engineer , i have a big problem to understand your point .

Please in light me , what electronic part can cause a buzzing noise on a motherboard .

The capacitors does not buzz , so lets see what other options left ?? !! :confused:

I like to believe you , but as electronics engineer , i have a big problem to understand your point .

Please in light me , what electronic part can cause a buzzing noise on a motherboard .

The capacitors does not buzz , so lets see what other options left ?? !! :confused:
This is going to sound very retarded. Those "coil things".

Gah...even going into electrical engineering :rolleyes:

well something is buzzing and it sounds like its comming from the agp connection at the bottom of the sound card. unfortunatley my case is loaded with fans and cables crammed in everywhere so its hard to tell source from reverb, so what CAN buzz and how do i stop it? voltage is fine and within acceptable limits. vcore 1.5-1.52 deviation between load and idle, as to be expected when pulling 150+ watts on cpu.
remember it is an old board so there might be something you would not find on the latest 775 chipsets.

remember it is an old board so there might be something you would not find on the latest 775 chipsets.

Oh yea ... !!? Oh my , my board is not a common motherboard its a humanoid , thats makes buzz noises and speaks too .... ASUS i am gonna kill ya !! :santa:

:D:D:D

i would kill them but ... hey its still kickin! so i guess it could be worse! especially after some of the horror stories i have seen with the latest boards on here shorting out psu's and what not.
still annoying as $%^&*(
ive actually found a way to counter it. pad the box. its a hassle i know, sorry dude. but hey keeps my 9 fans silent...er.

It might be this...

Some (many?) Nvidea cards leak current into the monitor earth connection and you can hear it in the onboard sound card. Connect a wire (carefully) to a metal point on top of the graphics card end (in the case where the agp card is screwed in) to a screw on the back of your power supply.

Be careful use a crimping tool to attach loopy things to the wire ends. Use a shielded wire. Do not let the wire come loose and go anywhere near your MB. Turn off your PC when you do it.

I have an all perplex case, which is why i noticed it. An all metal case may be worse as the current may still pass through the case and hit the sound card... to fix it another way get a PCI sound card and turn off the onboard one.

Also give your MB a good vacuum.. when it is off! and do not touch the MB with the vacuum. (and vacuum all the fans.. hold them still so they don't rev up)

And make sure your MB is earthed (i.e the screws holding the MB to the case are earthed.. the one that needs to be earthed is sometimes marked on the MB and this should normally be earthed automatically through a metal case to the outside of the powersupply)

Last edited:
I have never had a problem with ESD in 10 years of doing it, although mostly i leave it plugged in and off, touch the outside of the PSU and everything is earthed, I spose you could get and ESD safe vaccum.

I put fine grill filters on all the vents on my pc and they look like dryer lint filters after each 6 months. Cleaning these is worth it drops the temp by 1-3C, the filter on the vid card drops the temp of the card by 10C when i clean it. Maybe use compressed air if you are worried.

Actually the vid card filter does a good job of removing dust that gets through the case filters, when i get my new vid card i am grabbing the filter off the old one and sticking it at the bottom of the case somewhere on a low rev Arctic fan... Maybe it will self clean then even.

well i have a new graphics card and its buzzing just as bad as the old one....
and its sapphire ati.. overclocked or not there is no noise difference.
i have played around with my ram timings and the lower the freq the lower the buz so obvously it has something to do with the ram, just im not sure what part since upping the voltage does not make it louder, so im guessing power isnt the issue.
its annoying but since i cant seam to fix it ill just have to live with it.
besides my new tornado drowns it out... atleast im now 4.01 stable!

Back