• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help choosing MB w/ using Video card and memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Burning Phoenix

Ok here is the MB i previously wanted:
ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35
Now It seems using these memory sticks will be just fine:
mushkin Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
But i wanted this video card whichs says it is a PCI Express 2.0 card:
ASUS EN8800GT/G/HTDP/512M GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
So will the above video card be able to run fine in the above MB without a performance hit?
If not i was the looking at the following MB:
ASUS P5E LGA 775 Intel X38
Problem with that is will the above memory work with it? I'd rather buy the first MB and save $.

you not going CF so dont get X38, just get the P35 board. X38 doesnt oc any better then P35 and performance is about the same.

this quote is what concerned me when i searched about PCI express 2.0

PCIe 2.0 is not completely backward compatible with PCIe v1.x. Graphic cards and motherboards designed for v2.0 will be able to work with v1.1 and vice versa, however v2.0 cards will not work in v1.0 and v1.0a motherboards.

taken from here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express#PCI_Express_2.0

i could not find the pci express version on the asus mb

Last edited:
many people are using pcie 2.0 cards in 1.0/1.0a slots with out problems... that part of the problem with the wiki not all the info is correct. though there have been some instances where a pcie 2.0 hasnt working in a 1.0/1.0a motherboard but i think that got fixed with a bios update to the card.

Back