• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Crossfire board for me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Guvernment

currently have an Abit Ip35-E, with a 4400 @ 3ghz (can hit 3.4ish but need better cooling) plan to get a 3870,but maybe considering 2 for my new 24' dell, plan to play some Ut3 /quake wars /cs:s, and some Gothic 3 regularly.. and my 7600GT just aint cutting it anymore.

So looking to get a new mobo which supports Crossfire, and was curious what is recommended these days?

Wow, I've never seen a mobo that had a stock cooler for the RAM mossfetts. Or are the power regulators underneath that?

no ... it's just a cooler for north bridge ...
the other heatsink that has the heatpipe going up next to the dimms, is what he is talking about. yes that is for the voltage for the ram, as i havent seen any ss's but i think they are going to need it. esp if they are offering over 3volts, my IP35-Pro has 3volts max for DDR2 ram.

seems that board has some serious issues with the current bios'es that are out, osbad i think i may have to skip that board if i could find it :(

Bios is fine for me ... my e6850 run at 435 fsb memery at 522 ... temp arround 24 .. to 25 degres c ... just a little vdroop under load 0.025 ... so very good board for me

orthos stable 12 hours and more ...

cpuzp.png

cpuzm.png

meguru.png

okguru.png

ordisteph011.jpg

with the price of DDR3 right now! i dunno, is like i would keep my 4400 get a mobo and 2g of ddr3 ram and keep my 7600gt...lol

why did i need to get a 24' LCD!!

i would save some money with the ddr2 route...then you can snag a new GPU with the upgrade. you can get 4gigs of ddr2-1000 for 114 at newegg, i think its OOS atm...

seems that board has some serious issues with the current bios'es that are out, osbad i think i may have to skip that board if i could find it :(

Its taken me alot not to buy that board, but really I do think you should pass on it.
blind_ripper is getting lower CF scores than he did on the IP35pro.. And lets face it, CF is why you would go with a X38 over a P35.
The bios issues may get fixed in time, hell you may even get the fan hook for the PWM heatsink one day :beer:
All and all to many home goals for this happy Abit user to ever buy one.

Though looking around at the other X38 boards, it's hard to get worked up over any of them.
Like you I'd like to go CF, but I've been looking for a board for over a month and just can't find one I like and have decided to stick with what I have..how sad is that.

ya, seems CF is hard to find a good mobo, for now i grabbed a 8800GT 512 card, who knows what the q1 may bring to the board, may even hold of getting a q6600 if my new zalman s9700 can keep my e 4400 @ 3.2+ at a decent temp.

Back