• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IP35 Pro + Q6600 OC questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BoogieMan

Registered
Trying to get my new rig all up and running smoothly and decided to jump back in again to the relm of doing some serious OCing. Problem is, these boards have seemed to seriously leave me behind in what you can do with them. :confused:

Heres my system:

Abit IP35 Pro
Q6600 G0 Step BX80562Q6600SLACR BATCH: L737B461
Tuniq Tower 120
OCZ Platinum Extreme DDR2 6400
OCZ Game Extreme 700 watt PSU

I'm sure some of you guys have this same exact chip/board combo so if you could give me some exact settings for everything in the bios, VERY much appreciated.
It just seems I am missing something as I cant get the chip to really do anything without cranking up the vcore. :eek:

Thanks

Well, we can't just "give you settings". All hardware is different, even if it is the same model.

What temps are you hitting under full load (use Orthos) at stock settings? What are you trying to overclock to? etc etc. We need more information ;)

Right now i'm in the process of ocing this combo (stock ram and gpu right now). I've got 3.2 Ghz with 1.3525V with a vdroop of about .5-.6. I've got prime95 stable for 21+ hours, temps below 60C, but I will be lapping and reseating the hs because I know I didn't do this properly in the beginning.

Something to note, this board defaults the ram voltage to 1.8V. I could boot and run no problem with my crucial (spec says 2.2V), but had problems with prime even with loose timings on 1:1. As a fix that worked for stability so far on mine, I upped the ram voltage to 1.9V.

Be a little more descriptive with what you are trying to do/hit, what trouble you are running into. My vcore isn't much higher than what the board was doing on auto, you might be experiencing a large vdroop like mine. Also, there is a ton of threads/ stickies on overclocking these, I know I've learned a ton here and constantly refer back to them.

Last edited:
What am I looking for? Probably what most are here, see how much I can pump it up to ( on air ) just because its overclocking. :) Then put it somewhere comfortable for daily gaming.

I'll have to grab a copy of Orthos, I just completely reset the cmos on it and left everything ON and stock, not one change just so I can see what it will do. Ive been bumping it up 10mhz at a time and then running OCCT to full load all 4 cores and memory. So far I'm up to 310x9 and temp of 57-60.

Auto vcore seems to be 1.32 and as I monitor it seems to be drooping to 1.28-1.29

What am I looking for? Probably what most are here, see how much I can pump it up to ( on air ) just because its overclocking. :) Then put it somewhere comfortable for daily gaming.

I'll have to grab a copy of Orthos, I just completely reset the cmos on it and left everything ON and stock, not one change just so I can see what it will do. Ive been bumping it up 10mhz at a time and then running OCCT to full load all 4 cores and memory. So far I'm up to 310x9 and temp of 57-60.

Auto vcore seems to be 1.32 and as I monitor it seems to be drooping to 1.28-1.29

Yea I only asked because I wasn't sure if you were trying to pump it up in steps or all at once, sounds like you got it goin. I pumped mine straight to 3.0 with little voltage and then 3.2 with a little more. I game like you and will leave it right here because for my chip this seems real reasonable and stable. Plus I gotta reseat my hs for me to be comfortable with temps.

Sounds like most are up around 1.45-1.55V to hit 3.6 Ghz. You're climbing much faster than me in the voltage and temp department (makes me think I'm lucky). My vdroop is more though... This is my first system OC so I'm learning a little as I go and taking it slow to do it right.

If you are truly concerned about voltages, read up on the pencil mod to decrease the vdroop. From what I have gathered, it is proven, but there are different ideologies and theories as to overall pro's and con's.

Just re read my reply to what I was looking for and didnt mean for it to come off cocky if so, my bad Sorry. :beer:

Ya I think I am going to reseat my tuniq and get some artic silver ceramique, especially after reading their instructions on how to apply compound to the quad, I used the paste supplied with the Tuniq and was a little overly "generous" according to what Arctic silver recommends. :bang head

Ok for those with this chip/board combo how about posting your settings for the following so we can give them a shot. :bday:

EXTERNAL CLOCK :
MULTIPLIER FACTOR :

VOLTAGE CONTROL:

CPU CORE VOLTAGE :
DDR2 VOLTAGE :
CPU VTT 1.2V VOLTAGE :
MCH 1.25V VOLTAGE :
ICH 1.05V VOLTAGE :
ICHIO 1.5V VOLTAGE :
DDR2 REFERENCE VOLTAGE :
CPU GTLREF 0+2 :
CPU GTLREF 1+4 :

change to these settings

cpu-v = 1.45
ddr2 = specced voltage
cpu vtt = 1.27
mch = 1.33
ich = 1.15
ich io = 1.55
cpu gtl = 68% for both.

then try upping the fsb, remember to run orthos for a bit. the fastest route is run orthos for 30mins if its stable up it more till orthose fails. then one at a time up voltages starting with cpu voltage, then try cpuvtt in conjuction with MCH voltage. since CPUVTT voltage you can change to is directly related to the MCH voltage you have selected.

as well also set the ram timings manually and use a 1:1 ratio, ram to fsb.

Thanks Evil, I have taken my time and slowly made adjustments.

I made it to 360x9 with :
Ram 1:1 - 2.1 votage 5-5-5-15
Vcore : 1.415
MCH: 1.41
VTT : 1.27
CPU GTL : 69%
ICH: 1.15

Cant hit the 370x9 though, tried all the way up to :
VCORE : 1.455
MCH : 1.48
VTT: 1.35
ICH: 1.25
ICHIO: 1.55

System reboots. :confused:

lower the multi for that FSB and see what happens. if the system doesnt restart then you need to up the cpu voltage some more.
lower the ICH voltage it doesnt need to be that high...

Ok going to try it now.

ICH 1.15 then?

I should have added, system boots at 370x9 fine, just resets under stress test.

I am currently working on my first OC of the same Q6600, IP35 PRO combo.
Right now i am at 400x9=3600 at 1.5v.
However i noticed this board has some serious v droop, at 1.5v in the bios cpu-z reports: 1.45~1.48@ idle and 1.43~1.45@ load.
I would recommend bumping up your vcore to .02v more then you need to get sufficient voltage under load, which is probably why your crashing under stress test.
Also my MCH a.k.a NorthBridge is at 1.33 which seems to be working.
Im still doing some testing before i attempt a pencil mod, if there is one on this mobo?

thats not vdroop, vdroop is the voltage difference of idle to load for the cpu. that is simply the motherboard inability to set the voltage you set in bios.

thats not vdroop, vdroop is the voltage difference of idle to load for the cpu. that is simply the motherboard inability to set the voltage you set in bios.

I thought he was correct in his assesment of Vdroop Evil....No? Am I wrong?

1.45ish idle and 1.43ish load.

Vdroop being defined as the voltage drop between idle and load.

I know most ppl say BIOS says 1.45 and CPU-Z says 1.43 and they think THAT is Vdroop, but this guy seems to have it correct comparing Idle to Load voltages.

Or am I incorrect here? Please feel free to correct me if I am.

:confused:

don't mean to hijack your thread, i would just like to ask you where you got your q6600 with G0 stepping from

do they guarantee a g0, or does it depend on your luck. i called up newegg and they told me they couldn't guarantee what i'd get. :(

Back