• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me get a 5c Temp Drop!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stilletto

Ok, I know there is a weak spot in my loop somewhere and it is holding back my OC's. All I am asking for is a 5c temp drop.

Current setup:

MCC655-B Pump
XSPC Single Bay resevoir
Apogee GT Waterblock
Black Ice pro 2 Radiator with approx 180CFM going through it.

I am getting a bit too high on load temps and want to drop about 5C

Suggestions? Would a DTEC Waterblock help?

Ok, I know there is a weak spot in my loop somewhere and it is holding back my OC's. All I am asking for is a 5c temp drop.

Current setup:

MCC655-B Pump
XSPC Single Bay resevoir
Apogee GT Waterblock
Black Ice pro 2 Radiator with approx 180CFM going through it.

I am getting a bit too high on load temps and want to drop about 5C

Suggestions? Would a DTEC Waterblock help?
How about this, what temps are you getting at what clock speed at what volts? I think that we can help you get that extra 5c WITHOUT buying anything.

The block you have is one of the best out there, it would be a waste of money to go to another.

...asking for is a 5c temp drop.
Remount the block? Lapped block? ..CPU? What's your water temp now? Maybe a BIX3 (with BIG fans on it) or a PA120.3 will do it. How's your case cooling? Delid the CPU?

Well, at Idle at Stock Speeds ([email protected] 1.18V) I am getting Idle about 30-31C Load about 39C. OC'ed to 3.52 @1.46V I am getting about 43C Idle and 63C Load. You probably see that I haven't maxed out the CPU or MB by no means, but the cooling is letting me down. My ambient temps are at best 22C, at time perhaps 23 or 24 when the room heats up :eek:)

Well, at Idle at Stock Speeds ([email protected] 1.18V) I am getting Idle about 30-31C Load about 39C. OC'ed to 3.52 @1.46V I am getting about 43C Idle and 63C Load. You probably see that I haven't maxed out the CPU or MB by no means, but the cooling is letting me down. My ambient temps are at best 22C, at time perhaps 23 or 24 when the room heats up :eek:)
Re-seat the block and use just a rice size grain on the CPU. What type of retention does that block use? See if you move to a hard mount method, you will get much more control.

Chekc your Radiator too, it migh tneed a good cleaning. If it is clogged up wiht Dust, animal hair, etc, that will raise your temps as well.

Chekc your Radiator too, it migh tneed a good cleaning. If it is clogged up wiht Dust, animal hair, etc, that will raise your temps as well.

It's brand new:santa:

I used to have a heater core and got the exact same temps.
I wonder if a triple radiator would actually be any better....seems that every rad I have tried pretty much blows cold air (unless the temps get to 62C+, in which case I can really feel the heat coming out). I have tried applying AS5 just about every which way possible.

The block mounts to the CPU over 4 studs with springs and topped off with an acorn nut for tightening. I can tighten it pretty good, but after a year or so I wonder if the tension is not enough? Seems like I should be able to tighten a bit more, but the acorn nut is all the way on.

It's brand new:santa:

I used to have a heater core and got the exact same temps.
I wonder if a triple radiator would actually be any better....seems that every rad I have tried pretty much blows cold air (unless the temps get to 62C+, in which case I can really feel the heat coming out). I have tried applying AS5 just about every which way possible.

The block mounts to the CPU over 4 studs with springs and topped off with an acorn nut for tightening. I can tighten it pretty good, but after a year or so I wonder if the tension is not enough? Seems like I should be able to tighten a bit more, but the acorn nut is all the way on.
I can tell you those acorn nuts don't put on as much pressure as they should. Grab some 6-32 metric threaded nuts and tighten it down!!!:D

Actually, that is the b2 stepping core. That is the same temps that I get with my U120E or my old watercooling setup.

The B2 core clocked bad with horrible temps.

Actually, that is the b2 stepping core. That is the same temps that I get with my U120E or my old watercooling setup.

The B2 core clocked bad with horrible temps.

IIRC the B2 runs hotter than the L2, but requires less voltage to acchive the same OC in general.

My E6400 is the L2 Stepping and it runns at 1.52v at 3.6 Ghz, hitting a Max around 58c when both cores are running at 100%.

My L2 e6400 runs great - with 5c water temps i was able to do 3.8 with 1.425 rock solid stable.

As for your situation, try lapping the CPU and your Apogee GT up to 2000 grit and remounting with non-acorn nuts over and over until you are happy with your temps

I've done some ACTUAL sufrace finish measurements with a profilometer and lapping doesn't do too much to copper surfaces in terms of surface finish improvements over OEM Swiftech finish.

I've done some ACTUAL sufrace finish measurements with a profilometer and lapping doesn't do too much to copper surfaces in terms of surface finish improvements over OEM Swiftech finish.
Can you provide more information with tests, etc??

Swiftech Website said:
During the course of our live CPU testing, we uncovered the fact that the overall performance of the Apogee GT water-block could greatly benefit (by up to 0.03°C/W) by artificially inducing a bow i.e. a convex shape, in the water-block base plate.

In CPU's where the geometrical center of the Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS) coincides with the geometrical center of the water-block base plate, an artificially induced bow in the water-block base plate increases the contact pressure at the geometrical center of the IHS and can be further qualified as a pressure gradient applied to the entire surface of the CPU IHS with a maximum pressure value at its geometrical center. The observable result is an improvement in the thermal joint between the CPU IHS and the waterblock base plate in the general area directly above the CPU die(s), while the water-block thermal resistance remains approximately the same.

The following graph shows the actual difference in thermal resistance between the Apogee GT with a flat base plate (as shipped) and the Apogee GT with a bow artificially induced by replacing the original 2.6mm wide o-ring with a 3mm wide o-ring. Between .5 and 2 GPM a difference is observed that is never lower than 0.02 °C/W.

GT-Bowed-TR_VS_FR.PNG
Also, did you take the Apogee apart? If so, did you double check the alignment of the base plate? It can be turned the "wrong way", which will lower cooling efficiency ...

What's your ambient temp like? Changing radiators will not do you much good since ur already blasting a 180CFM fan on the one u currently have. Perhaps get a better waterblock? Then again, that might only buy you an extra degree or two. From my personal experience, lapping didn't do anything but its different for everyone. Since your cpu is cheap it wouldnt be too painful to replace right? So there, extra waterblock expense and the risk of killing your cpu...a 200 dollar or so investment for that extra 5c. Is it really worth it?

I solved this problem the old fashined way, at least for now....I ordered
a new CPU...e6750. The G0 stepping should net me higher clocks, and should be good for at least 5C:beer:

Back