• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI Express 2.0??? Need Help for New Rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lewie77

Registered
So far I have purchased my Monitor,keyboard/mouse, Ram (OCZ Gold), and Graphics Card (8800 GT) and im wondering which way to go to build the cheapest performance/cost ratio....I still need a mobo and cpu and wondering if i should buy a pcie 2.0 and which mobo and cpu i should get...Im new to building so feel free to suggest

WELCOME TO THE FORUM! :beer:

I don't view PCIE2 as that big a deal right now but others might disagree. :santa:

What kinda budget you on and what will you use the machine to do?

Thanks for the reply....im just wondering if it would be better to get it now so it would be more futureproof.....and hopefully around 400 for the remaining parts which would be...HD, Case/PS, CPU, MOBO....hopefully im not forgetting anything??? lol

Future proof is a relative term. Frankly nobody is future proof, it is only a matter of time.

With a budget of ~400 for all that I might get
- a reasonable case I would live with for 2-3 years, probably $50-100
- a good power supply

Check the "Cases and Power Supply" forum here for more exact recommendations.

I wouldn't run RAID storage and get just one HD for now, check the "Storage" folks.

Motherboard - a P35 chipset board.

CPU - an Intel dual core processor, check the "Intel CPU" forum.

Not very specific but it'll get ya going and lots of good folks here to help!!! :beer:

Ok sounds good thanks for the suggestions.....i was looking around and i found a reasonably priced motherboard supporting pcie2 for $100

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=27400&vpn=M3A&manufacture=ASUS

Then I have this case/ps.....for $60

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2151751&CatId=1845

Im not sure if you guys would recommend phenom? which would probably run me about $200 and a 320hd for $75

total-435 plus taxes and shipping would be around 500...which i could live with :)
Does this sound could or would you recommend differnt components....thanks for the help

Intel is generally a better bang for the buck in terms of motherboard and CPU these days. But other than that I know of no reason to suggest you change. Check with the corresponding forum here and there are good folks to suggest the best bang for your buck within each category.

Enjoy and success on your build! :beer:

Back