• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DTek Uni Sink - 8800GTS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jas

I know it's pretty new, but has anyone gotten a hodl of one of these Dtek Uni Sinks. Was just curious as to how well it mated up with the card, or if any had any issues with it. And especially if it even works with the G92 GTS.

I plan on ordering a 8800GTS G92 in the next couple of days, and was thinking about possibly getting this to go with it as well.

Looks like a good alternative to the swiftech ramsinks.

By the way, if you were planning on buying ramsinks for the G92 GTS, you need a weird combination - 11 of the square copper one, a 2 of the long alluminum ones (mc21)

Yeah, I should have enough ram sinks of different sizes to cover it. But, i figured if I could get a nice looking all in one unit, why not?

I'm going to see if I can affix my MCW Ramcool to the card somehow. I could probably do it with an Epoxy type TIM if I can't get anoughof the mounting points to line up. But I would still worry about it comming loose even if glued.

so, plan b is to cover it in heat sinks.

Dont mean to Hi-jack here Jas but I have a MCW60 coming for my GTS (320mb G80)and was wondering what heat sinks do you moslty use and where? I'm trying to do my WC on the cheap so that uni sink is out of the question :p

JM

You need sinks on the RAM. Not 100% sure about the GTS 320 but you might need sinks on the mosfets too. As for doing it on the cheap, even if you went wiht cheap sinks, you'd probably be looking at close to $20.

Swiftech has a sink kit for the 8800 series cards, that has everything you'd need, and then some. But that's ~$30

As for me, I decided to go with an 8800 GT 512. I game at 1280x1024 and everything I've read showed virtually no difference between the GT and the GTS (G92) at those resolutions. So, I figured, why spend $80 more, when I won't notice the difference?

I'm going to try and get my Ramcool to mount to the GT, but if that doesn't work, It's massive heat sink coverage time.

Good looking heatsink :). Too bad it has the same draw backs as a full cover waterblock but at least it's cheaper to replace that than the whole waterblock assembly.

Just an FYI Danger Den released a full cover GTS G92 block just recently. I ordered one..see what's it all about

Again, problem with a full block is that as soon as you upgrade you can throw it away :( Even at the absolutely horrific price of the MCW18/21 heat sinks, it still would have been cheaper to move from the 7series to the 8series keeping your MCW60 or whatever block you had and just getting those heat sink kits or this type of full cover heat sink. Beats shelling out an additional $150 for a new full cover block.

JM

I'm waiting for a Uni sink for the G92 cards aswell, although I want one for an 8800GT. The layout between the GT and GTS G92s is the same, aside from the GT has a few less chips.

By draw back do you mean that it wont fit on your next graphics card? In which I complete agree. Super ****ed that I cant mount a MCW50 on the GTS :(

Yup thats what I mean. In the case of your MCW, unless it physically doesn't fit the core or there's a capacitor in the way, you could always make a hold down with metal or polycarbonate. A lot of times I'll use an existing hold down plate that has holes for what my block supports as well as the holes I need. I made some "AM2 Wings" out of an Apogee S754/939/940/AM2 hold down plate and bolted them to a standard USMA plate. This time around I made a hold down plate out of HDPE.

Can't pull that trick on a full cover block since most of the time as on a newer card it won't cool all the parts or leaves big gaps between the heatsink and the GPU core or memory.

What I would like to see is a graphics card that uses a cooling solution that is based on water upgrading. You release, for example the GTS, with a type of Uni Sink and then a core cooler that is independently mounted from the uni sink. In other words split the core and memory cooling into different units.

If I was on water, and if it didn't cost an arm and a leg extra, that'll be the card i buy.

JM

You basically mean have a card that is already sold under water? They have those, they suck, lol.

I think this is the best method, the uni-sink is an elegant solution for cooling RAM and PWMs, and doesnt cost much if you upgrade. And of course, you get the cooling performance on the core that only a GPU block offers.

No I mean a card that is air cooled but whose RAM is cooled via a seperate sink. Kinda like what they have on the 3850's. A big copper sink on the ram, allowing you to leave it in place when you attach a water GPU cooler.

JM

Last edited:
This is what I'm on about:

HPIM0230.jpg
Picture from SG_Jimmy at Vr-Zone forums

I like that the sinks are seperate from the main cooler so you could just keep the sinks on and install your gpu block.

JM

Last edited:
Back