• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to Water Cooling... Whatcha Think

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

olskool

Registered
Hi all!!

This will be my 1st adventure into water cooling and I'd like to know what you guys think.

The parts:
Thermochill PA120.3
Swiftech MCP355 w/Custom Delrin DDC Pump Top
Swiftech Apogee GTX Extreme CPU Block
Swiftech MCW60-R Universal GPU Block
Swiftech MC8800 SMC Cooling Kit
Swiftech MCRES-MICRO
Tygon R3603 7/16in. ID 5/8in. OD Laboratory Tubing (15 ft.)
Herbie Clip® Nylon Hose Clamp Size F - Black

I have already ordered the rad and will be ordering the rest from Sidewinder Computers, except the Swiftech MCW60-R. Swiftech seems to be the only online store to have it in stock right now.

I will be using this gear to cool a Q6600 and an 8800 GTS 640MB and it all goes inside a Lian Li PC-A70BW case. If you have any recommendations let me know

btw will these bards fit the Swiftech MCRES-MICRO and the tubing I have chosen? Also, I haven't ruled out a T-line so can you recommend the right size T for the tubing I've chosen?

Last edited:
You have 7/16 tubing in your list....you'll be better off with 1/2" inner Dia.

Other than that, the only thing I see is the you may want to get a GPU block that covers the GPU and the RAM. Those sinks can only be so efficient, and I take it you will be OC'ing the video....:beer:

Other than that, the only thing I see is the you may want to get a GPU block that covers the GPU and the RAM. Those sinks can only be so efficient, and I take it you will be OC'ing the video....:beer:

7/16" tubing is actually a good choice. A very popular size to use since it fits over 1/2" Id barbs, and offers virtually the same performance as 1/2" ID tubing, but it's slightly thinnner dimensions make it easier to work with in tight spaces.

Somewhere I read the the 7/16" tubing fits the 1/2" barbs really tight and that I may have to put the ends in boiling water so that they'll easily expand over the barb. I fugured this will help in leak prevention.

Do the full cover block really make that much of a difference? I was thinking that when I buy a new video card I could re-use MCW60. but I'll be happy to get the full cover if it performs that much better

what do you guys think of the Danger Den DD - 8800 GTS Full Coverage Block?

stay with what you have the 7/16 does help with keeping that hose on the barb and keep the core only block as it should work with future 9xxx series cards just with a new mounting bracket but a full coverage block only works with that exact card and nothing else 99%garuntee

stay with the gpu only block! i once wanted a full block and had my heart set on it but learnt (from reading, not buying one) the gpu only will get better temps. like pc ram it doesn't really need cooling. stick with the kick *** setup!

stay with the gpu only block! i once wanted a full block and had my heart set on it but learnt (from reading, not buying one) the gpu only will get better temps. like pc ram it doesn't really need cooling. stick with the kick *** setup!

It may not "need" cooling but if you are going to OC it you had best keep it as cool as possible, and I almost guarantee you better results.

As for the tubing, what is the wall thickness? I bet the 7/16 is thinner than the 1/2 tubing, and this will result in easier kinking. I have been down that road:santa:

It may not "need" cooling but if you are going to OC it you had best keep it as cool as possible, and I almost guarantee you better results.

As for the tubing, what is the wall thickness? I bet the 7/16 is thinner than the 1/2 tubing, and this will result in easier kinking. I have been down that road:santa:

Well I don't intend on OC the video ram too much they are @ 1000MHz with the stock cooler so I guess that will be o.k

The tubing has a wall thickness of 3/32" and the same 5/8" O.D. as the 1/2" tubing... although there is an 11/16" O.D. version of each size.

Can anyone point me to a pre install water cooling guide?. I'm not sure how I am supose to clean the rad and blocks before I install them.

Don't know of one, many guides here tho, look on xtreme forums too. The rad needs cleaned for sure, rest don't. Run hot water in the rad, shake, shake, rinse repeat again and again till the water coming out is clear. Then do it one more time. PA rads use water based flux, you don't need anything special to clean their rads. I know that much.

Then dry mount the setup, cutting hoses to the right length etc. Take it all back out and hook it up on a towel and run it for 24 hours looking for leaks. Then put in the computer for 24hrs with just the loops running, no power to the computer, just the water pump. Watch for leaks and to clear out bubbles. Then power it up and have your temp monitors up to monitor the chips on idle.

Got the good stuff, you should see good temps with that.

7/16" Id tubing should come with a 3/32" thick wall, for a total OD of 5/8" (same OD as standard 3/8" Id tubing)

It is thick enough to resist kinking.

If you want mor einfo than you need on tubing go here

7/16 tubing 3/32 wall -----> used it, got kinks.
1/2 tubing, 1/8 wall -------> used it, got less kinks.
Primoflex 1/2 tubing -------> used it, NO kinks, never going back!

The duromoter of the tubing you are using also makes quite the difference.

The Tygon 3603 has a durometer of 55, while Primofelx is a 50. Clear flex 60 is a 60.

The Tubing he will be using is PLENTY soft, and unless he tries to do a 180 degree bend in 1 inch of space, he need not worry about kinking.

Thanx for your input guys I put in my order this morning.

I'll let you know how it goes:)

ya don't get me wrong i cool all that i can, but ram sinks will be enough at stock or a little over stock with some kind of airflow around them. man thing is keeping the core down, for me anyhow.

man, i can't understand all these damn inch fractions! i have no idea how you people live with it. The only reason i know 1/2 is bigger than 7/16ths is because someone said in in the thread! haha, oh well im over it.

On to my real point, which is that yes 7/16 pipe may fit more snuggly over the barbs, promoting a leak free enviroment, but for < $10 i went to an autoparts store and bought 10 proper hose clamps (screw driver ones). That literally garrentied no leaks for me. I have never seen one in my system. I don't understand how most people don't use them.

Well that was a weird rant wasn't it......

Looks pretty close to my system mate, should do good. GL with it.

Hey guys I was wondering if and what back plate I could use with the Swiftech Apogee GTX water block? I'd like to use one to prevent any motherboard bowing.

man, i can't understand all these damn inch fractions! i have no idea how you people live with it. The only reason i know 1/2 is bigger than 7/16ths is because someone said in in the thread! haha, oh well im over it.

On to my real point, which is that yes 7/16 pipe may fit more snuggly over the barbs, promoting a leak free enviroment, but for < $10 i went to an autoparts store and bought 10 proper hose clamps (screw driver ones). That literally garrentied no leaks for me. I have never seen one in my system. I don't understand how most people don't use them.

Well that was a weird rant wasn't it......

Looks pretty close to my system mate, should do good. GL with it.

Regardless of wha ttubing you use, you should always use clamps.

Back