• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4C800e no onboard sound?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrgreenjeans

Just swapped this mobo for a P4C800 dlx and I can't get the onboard sound to work. I've tried everything, uninstalled , reinstalled, and whenever I try to install the soundMAX package, it runs through the install then pops up 'no driver found.'

Any suggestions?

Id try edownloading the package. Or going to another website to get the driver from. It sounds like a bad file or something to me since its saying no driver found. Now if it was saying no supported hardware found then you might have some other issues.

Yes. Switched off and 'auto'. It's supposed to kick in unless it senses a PCI audio card. The only PCI card I have installed is a SATA Raid card in the last slot.

And I pulled drivers off two sites and tried two separate versions.

Same result.

Is windows picking up the sound card at all under device manager? Even as a unknown item.. If not then thats your issue, or at least tells us that it isnt being picked up in the OS.

No. Device manager shows everything greenlight. Under sounds/audio tab it only lists several codecs, no hardware. Worse case is to pick up a cheap sound card. all in all an expedient repair to what could've been disastrous and expensive! See thread here

Maybe Ill switch it off in the bios for a while then try turning it back on? Meanwhile check around for an inexpensive sound card. This is primarily a back up/network rig that my wife happens to use so sound isn't a big issue, just that it needs to have some sound.

P4c800e dlx, a slightly different model from the original, but close enough to fool windows!:)

I contacted the seller and he said it was working fine when he uninstalled it.

the p4c800 e deluxe has two on board raids promise fast track for ide and intel for sata intel being the faster one maybe you raid card is conflicting with the sound
Rich

It didn't before. I'm not using the Sata Raid or the primary IDE channel and haven't loaded either drivers or turned the fasttrack on in the bios. It's possible , but not probable. The RAID card is a PNY PCI SATA card with it's own onboard bios (easily transferred to another computer and data left intact) so I doubt it caused the conflict.
Keep in mind this identical config has been running for nigh on two years with the other board.

guess im out of idea's less you have something hooked up to a usb port that maybe conflicting with the sound or try your raid in a deffrent pci slot best of luck
Rich

Well sound cards are fairly cheap now a days. As long as everything else works you should be fine. Sometimes the onboard sound does just die for some reason or another.

The audio chip needs a very specific audio driver .

Do you have the CD of the motherboard ?
Did you download the last one from the ASUS web site ?

1. I have the motherboard driver Cd but it does not contain the audio drivers. They are referenced as being on separate Cd I do not have.

2. Tried the last two versions of the driver off the Asus site. It goes through the entire install process then an error message says "driver not found, reboot and try installation again."

The strange thing is the hardware isn't listed under system devices.

Thanks again for everyone's input. Still trying.

Edit: I did find the drivers on the CD (not labelled and only accessible through explorer?) but no difference. Still wouldn't find the hardware.

Last edited:
Final update:

Tired off futzing around so I ordered a $26 Creative audio card from Newegg (free shipping natch), slapped it in, installed drivers only (you ol' creative guys know what i mean) and was off and running last week. The computers been powered on and off over a dozen times and guess what this afternoon?

Sure enuff, New Hardware Wizard, and it's an AUDIO MEDIA CONTROLLER! Geez, wonder where that came from? :bang head

Next reboot I turn it off for good, although the manual says on 'auto' it's supposed to disable itself once it senses another audio card. Just a snafu I guess. Mine just enabled itself!

All's well that ends well. Thanks again for all the input guys!

That error sounds like possibly a permissions problem with a file.

Even more likely with Vista. Are you using Vista?

That error may be related to a directory being locked.

Back