• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best pc2100+?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sendatooli

i was getting many memory errors. i played around with the settings. no more memory errors. the system just locks up under load after a few hours now. i have narrowed my problem down to the memory. i have micron ddr. the chips say "mt". the guy at the store says this is the best stuff he sells and is top of the line. i smell bs.

so what is the best registered pc2100 or faster 184pin dimms. that are available at a local store. i dont want to mail order crucial unless i have too. is mushkin good? hyundai? samsung?

i will need 2x512mb sticks. and dont want to pay more than $200 for both of them. is that realistic?

thank you,
sendatooli.

sendatooli said:
i was getting many memory errors. i played around with the settings. no more memory errors. the system just locks up under load after a few hours now. i have narrowed my problem down to the memory. i have micron ddr. the chips say "mt". the guy at the store says this is the best stuff he sells and is top of the line. i smell bs.

so what is the best registered pc2100 or faster 184pin dimms. that are available at a local store. i dont want to mail order crucial unless i have too. is mushkin good? hyundai? samsung?

i will need 2x512mb sticks. and dont want to pay more than $200 for both of them. is that realistic?

thank you,
sendatooli.

I would spend the extra few dollars and get KingMax PC2700

No idea what to tell you as crucial's current price for 512mb registered 2100 is $197 ea online.

Different memory brands can be troublesome with different motherboards especially those that do not allow memory voltage adjustment.

You might be best to see if your motherboard mfg. recommend's a specific brand-model.

Posting your motherboard make and model would be helpfull maybe someone with the same board can tell you what works for them.

i put the cart before the horse. i should have just went to tyans site and checked what is approved. i will do that now. i have a tyan thunder. i think mekboy said whats working ok for him. ill check his posts. as for the current prices of memory, it went way up again. i didnt even notice that. darn. i will have to wait. it is stupid to pay what it is now. in a few monthes it could be half of this again. these stinkin people that sold me my system have given me nothing but problems. i now have to go buy memory somewhere else. and put 2 sticks in my "junk drawer". that sucks.

also, i dont know if all of the approved memory will work for me i have a lot of hardware installed in this machine. it might not all get along. it is a tricky science.

meantime, can someone explain to me, if you buy for instance micron. which is marked "mt.." on their chips. how do you know what brand of pcb you are getting? there are like 50 different pcbs that can be teamed up with another manufacturers chips. crucial is supposed to be good. it is a crucial pcb with micron chips? tinybga chips good? if a mainboard says micron is approved, how do i know which of the many microns? do they mean micron chips on micron pcb? how do i tell what i have?

furthermore, right now memtest and simtester show no errors! but prime95 quits and passmark locks up after about 8 hours. i hope i am barking up the right tree thinking its the memory.

the man that sold this to me. says it is NOT generic memory! it is micron's best memory and no one else has a problem with it on my mainboard. he sells them together every day. well, for one i dont beleive him. but, before i junk this memory. how can i find out what exactly it really is? who knows i may already have tyan approved memory! fat chance!
do i take some number off one of the chips and search for it somewhere?

thank you,
sendatooli.

The pcb will often times have a name or part number on it.
The mt is micron and yes crucial uses micron chips however some people say the stuff that does not meet crucials standards is sold off to other memory makers.

You can look up the chips specs here:

http://www.micron.com/products/datasheet.jsp?path=/DRAM

Micron chips sold on "generic" pcb's would be considered risky as to if it will perform to spec.

Often times raising the memory voltage +.1-.2v will get micron to run flawlessly.

Mushkin would be a choice if you do not have the ability to change memory voltage's

You can check their ddr compatibility here:
http://www.mushkin.com/cgi-bin/Mush...89007fb120273fc0a801020611+EN/products/990700

The Kingmax ddr might be ok but I don't think they make 512mb registered memory.

Good luck.

thank you placid. i will look for a number on the pcb. on the sticker? i will try searching on google to see who makes it. how do i tell if the company that makes it is "generic"? so the "mt" chips might be ok, if they are not rejects? or are there different types/grades of "mt" chips? or are they all the same and its the pcb i should worry about first?

intrestingly, i wiggled the dimm's real good in the slots, on the advice of my neighbour. now i get no memtest errors. at least not yet. but, prime95 still quits. i am going to go run memtest for a while now.

thank you,
sendatooli.

sorry, once again i spoke too soon. all the part numbers for the chips are posted on that link. thank you. now it just remains are the chips i have rejects, or first quailty. i guess that i will never know. as for the pcb, i will now get the number off of it and search it. once i find out the manufacturer(if i can find it). i will post it, so you guys can tell me if it is good or not.

thank you,
sendatooli.

If you need memory for your thunder board i would go with the Corsair. its Tyan apporved and has been known to work very well on the tyan board's. I am going to order a few sticks very soon.

guess what!!!!!!!!!! everything is working now! no errors. prime95 ran 32 hours!!!! i guess that means prime95 is working on my machine? i sprayed the memory with contact cleaner. that solved the memory errors! as for the machine locking up, i had a service running (hmonitor.exe) which is a temp monitor for dual cpu mainboard. well, there seems to be a bug in that app. as soon as the machine reaches 43c. or the hmonitor app displayes 43c. it locks up the machine! i dont know if this is on all machines, but it is with mine. it took a long time to troubleshoot this problem, but i stuck to my guns and fixed it! knock on wood.

thank you to all who helped me with this issue!

happy holidays,
sendatooli.

Back