• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggest a mobo for an After Effects workstation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pie-rate

This computer will be used for testing software and for Adobe After Effects.
Here's the specs I'm aiming for:
Quad core Intel (upgradeable to dual-quad core would be a big plus)
3-8GB of RAM
GeForce 8800gtx
2x 15k RPM cheetahs in RAID0

So, I need to find a mobo that has either 2 SCSI ultra320 slots w/ raid controller, or the PCI xpress x8 slot for a raid controller. Plus, it obviously needs to have a PCI express x16 slot, and preferably a second one with support for SLI. It also needs to have 4 or more slots for RAM, and preferably dual CPU slots.

I'm having trouble finding what I need just browsing newegg.

I already have the cheetahs and the 8800gtx.

Bit too expensive, and a cursory glance at google shows they're likely not released yet.

It looks like I need a server motherboard, but I don't know what server motherboard to buy, and I'm looking for suggestions which are already out there and available for purchase.
I'm looking at somewhere around a $1100 budget for mobo/cpu/ram/raid/psu/case. I have the 15k rpm drives lying around, and I have the 8800gtx.
I don't want to go dual-cpu or SLI yet, I don't have nearly enough money for a second card and CPU, but I would like the option in the future without a new mobo. SLI definitely isn't a big concern, although I'd like the freedom to upgrade to SLI. If it isn't cost effective to get that freedom, I don't want it.

Last edited:
Back