• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best p35 Gigabyte board? My head is spining.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

silkshadow

This is for a new rig with quad core q6600 and 8800gt. I need a brand that I can get support for in the Philippines. That limits me to MSI, Asus and Gigabyte boards. I would prefer to not buy an MSI board ever again and Asus P35 boards all seem to be crossfire boads which is useless for me as I have 4 nvidia geforce 8000 cards as well as 7000 and 6000. I like nvidia ;).

So it seems that leaves me with Gigabyte. Under p35 gigabyte has like 30 boards :eek:. I've been surfing this forum, reading reviews and went though all the specs of the gigabte offerings but I am now more confused than when I started :(.

Could someone just recommend me the best gigabyte board to go with the q6600 and an Nvidia 8800GT? Or an Asus board that doesn't have crossfire? Am willing to spend up to US$250 on it but cheaper is better. This is a mid-high end gaming build. A 24" 1920x1200 monitor will accompany it.

While we're at it, any recomendations for RAM for the p35? 2gb is what I am looking at. Thanks!

no P35 board will work with SLI so even if you go gigabyte you still SOL. you can run 2 cards in one p35 board just not for sli though. all P35 support X-fire, so you might want to look at the 680i/780i boards if they are out in your area.

thought for good P35 board the P35-DS3R is a good choice as well as the P35-DQ6 board.

Actually I don't really need sli on this build. I've got an SLI setup for a Phenom set. However, with Intel starting to become more dominant again, I thought I'd put together an Intel rig to play with. Wow, so all P35 are crossfire boards? Seems x38 are also all crossfire. The intel Nvidia chipsets seem to, well, stink for lack of a better word. Is there another Intel chipset that is not crossfire?

Is this the right board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128050&Tpk=P35-DS3R? Is the P35-DS3R the best gigabyte mobo for p35 (I can't find the P35-DQ6 on newegg)? It looks pretty good. Is it also a crosfire board? The specs page doesn't specify. Thanks for your reply!

All intel-based boards are crossfire if they have several pcie ports for graphics cards AFAIK.
So, yeah the x38 are only crossfire too, that is something i know for sure.

I have the gigabyte P35 DS4 motherboard and i think it's great! Nothing to complain about.

Actually I don't really need sli on this build. I've got an SLI setup for a Phenom set. However, with Intel starting to become more dominant again, I thought I'd put together an Intel rig to play with. Wow, so all P35 are crossfire boards? Seems x38 are also all crossfire. The intel Nvidia chipsets seem to, well, stink for lack of a better word. Is there another Intel chipset that is not crossfire?

Is this the right board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128050&Tpk=P35-DS3R? Is the P35-DS3R the best gigabyte mobo for p35 (I can't find the P35-DQ6 on newegg)? It looks pretty good. Is it also a crosfire board? The specs page doesn't specify. Thanks for your reply!

that is the board im talking about and the X-fire only boards have 2 physical 16x slots on them. to answer that no the board is not for CF since it has only one 16x slot.

the P35-DQ6 might be more then your willing to spend.
http://www.xpcgear.com/gap35dq6.html
http://www.excaliberpc.com/Gigabyte_GA-P35-DQ6_Motherboard/GA-P35-DQ6/partinfo-id-579369.html
http://www.tankguys.biz/product_info.php?products_id=1739

the DQ6 has 2 16x slots so its CF ready...

That P35 DS4 looks very nice. If all P35 are crossfire, how would people stack up the p35-DS4 against something like the Asus p5k-e?

Edit: Thanks for those links, that GA-P35-DQ6 is a bit more than I was budgeting adding shipping and such to it.

by nature P35 is X-fire ready, the mobo makers have the option of putting the second 16x slot on the board. For a price you can have that feature and i would put the P5K-E lower then even the Gigabyte P35-S3L/P35-S3 board not by much though.

That's a nice choice! Hope you'll love it!
I got nothing to complain about it and i don't regret that i choosed the gigabyte board after these 8 years that i had with all my asus-boards :)

Instead of Asus, I've been buying MSI and Abit boards, all of which have let me down. So much so that I now have 6 s939 CPUs (3 X2) which I can't do anything with since I can't find s939 mobos anymore :(. I've got one A8N32-SLI which is my only s939 still standing. I've picked up Asus for my AM2 processors so I did want to give another mobo maker a try and Gigabyte has been expanding aggressively in the Philippines (I am in the US for the holidays and doing some shoping :)) so this works out nicely.

I just posted about this in the memory forum, but since you have this board, let me ask you ;). What balistix are you running with this board and do you like it? Will the board take 1066 ram? Am I better off getting 800 ram and pushing it?

Last edited:
the specced speed doesnt matter on the board... that just tells you what ram at stock 200/266/333fsb's it supports. that way if you chose to run say ddr2-1066 with the cpu at stock you could. going with faster ram just means you dont have to worry about the ram not handling the speed your tring to go for.

i will ask what brands of ram can you get there?

1066 ram will work just fine! Heck, you can even fill up all the four DDR2-slots with 1066ram and run them at their specified speed (1066Mhz) and it will work just fine. (if it's listed in the motherboards memory-support list), all the crucial will work fine for ex.
I can't tell anyone that has had a problem with that on the p35-ds4 when it comes to that, it's a VERY popular board over here in sweden, among all the other gigabyte boards, since they expanded! So i got alot of "user experience" since it's so popular over here.

The only gigabyte board that i know that has an issue with 1066ram on all the four slots is the X38-DQ6. Thou that board runs fine with 2 sticks of 1066.

Oh, sorry for the long answer when i just could tell you that I have the DDR2-PC8500 (1066Mhz) DDR2 sticks. :)

Thanks! I am in the US right now but I am buying from newegg so am restricted to their stock.

Edit: Heh, I keep posting at the same time as you guys :). Great info sk1llz, I appreciate it thank you!

shadow how much you want to spend on ram is the first question? second would be what kind of fsb are you looking to reach?

I'd like to hit decent FSB but will not be going for max OCs. I will be air cooling. I've got a US$150 budget for 2gb of ram. Thanks!

hmm well how about 4gigs of ram? its only $114 2x2gigs
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231145
on a 1:1 ratio that will net you a 500mhz fsb for the ram stock. with the stock voltage on that ram its going ddr2-1066, with 2.2v its doing close to ddr2-1100. if you want just 2gigs then imo these
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231114
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231128
these 2 sets use the same IC's the only difference is that one is set for a higher stock speed with looser timings. you can get the same speed with the ddr2-800 sticks with looser timings.

Wow, 4gigs within my budget, thats awesome! Thanks a ton Evilsizer! G.Skill here I come :)

Sk1llz, I see you've got a Zalman in your rig right now. Would you happen to know if the Zalman CNPS9700 LED would fit in this mobo?

Wow, 4gigs within my budget, thats awesome! Thanks a ton Evilsizer! G.Skill here I come :)

Sk1llz, I see you've got a Zalman in your rig right now. Would you happen to know if the Zalman CNPS9700 LED would fit in this mobo?

Yes, the zalman 9700 should work just fine! Along with other big air-coolers, havent seen anyone that hasn't fitted on this mobo yet actually. :)

I posted about this in a related thread last night, does anyone know if it actually happens?:

GA-P35-DS4 Manual pg10 said:
2 x PCI Express x16 slots
(The PCIE_16_1 slot supports x16; the PCIE_16_2 supports x4.)

GA-P35-DS4 Manual pg12 said:
(Note 2) When the second PCI Express x16 slot (PCIE_16_2) is in use, the three PCI Express x1 slots become unavailable.

In other words, according to the gigabyte manual for the DS4 (as well as the DS3's), plugging anything into the secondary x16 slot should disable the x1's. I'm hoping this isn't the case, as the board looks great outside of that issue.

Back