• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Major help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Loomy

Registered
Im going to be doing a major overhaul on my computer in the next week or two. Im going to use the q6600 and 4 one gig sticks of this ram. The only thing im not sure about is the motherboard.

I want it to be compatible with the CPU and the RAM, but other than that im open to anything else as long as its under ~$250.

Thanks for the help
Loomy

Last edited:
Boards with the Intel P35 chipset are used by lots of folks here and will perform with your CPU and memory plus satisfy your $s requirement. Brands include Abit, ASUS, and Gigabyte plus some others. There can be several variations for each brand and selecting one of those depends on the features you might want.

Boards using the Intel X38 chipset are also available. Same brands as above. One of the main reasons for the X38 is that it will support CrossFire video if you're so inclined.

Typically any of the above brand boards will be excellent boards and I've used them all successfully at one time or another. As you narrow the choices down based on your feature needs, folks will certainly weight into as their likes and dislikes.

Hmmm, I currently have a 8800gtx, so i would prefer to have SLI, but it's such a good video card i wont really need to put it in SLI for a good long while. So just because a board dosent support SLI, i wont count it out

From what i read the asus p5e is a really good x-38 board. It has everything i need and its in my pricerange. Has anyone heard anything good or bad about this board?

Here is a link to the board. Asus's web site has been down, so i couldnt link to their page, sorry.

I'm using the P5E and it is solid for me. :beer:

Other boards that folks like are the Abit IP-35 or Abit IX-38. I'm running the IP-35 on a second machine and while I've not pushed it, it seems to be a good board.

Really? Then maybe you can answer the one question i have about the board. I am looking to get the 110 mm zalman fan. From the pictures and demensions i have, it looks like it will fit but it will be a close one. If you happen to know if it will fit please tell me, if not i will probbably just go with the next size down heat sync.

I have the ip35 pro and its really a great board, I dropped my SLI setup to get it, was running the 680i and it didnt overclock as well.

SLI really isnt worth it, sure it gets you good bench marks, unless your running crazy high resolutions you wont need it, and by the time games are advanced enough to require it with your current card it'll be a whole new ballgame.

Back