• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FSB @ 1760Hhz. Too high?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n3wbie

Registered
Hi,

I'm sort of a OC newbie and I just want to make sure if my
settings are ok.

440x8.jpg

The only thing I'm worried about is the 1760Hhz on the FSB. Is this ok? I mean I'm running 4 sticks of ram
so is this normal?
Also are my voltages on the Quad too high?
I've been trying to get above 450x8 but I'm scared of pushing the voltage on the core above 1.50v
Also need to ask why is CoreVID at 1.225
(when I've got it a 1.50v)

Thanks!

The only thing I'm worried about is the 1760Hhz on the FSB. Is this ok? I mean I'm running 4 sticks of ram
so is this normal?

Your FSB is 439. That's quite reasonable. Your Intel CPU is quad pumped so that 4*439.3=1757.2 which is the speed going into the CPU, not your FSB. Assuming the memory multiplier is one to one (1:1), memory runs a double the FSB so your memory speed is 878. If you select the "Memory" tab on CPU-Z, you'll see the actual memory speed.

Also are my voltages on the Quad too high?
I've been trying to get above 450x8 but I'm scared of pushing the voltage on the core above 1.50v
Also need to ask why is CoreVID at 1.225
(when I've got it a 1.50v)

The voltages set in the bios are subject to calibration error and often questionable. The voltage you see in CPU-Z is a better representation of the voltage going to the CPU, 1.225V. More critical is the CPU temperature (or core temperatures). If you don't already have it, get CoreTemp and run it. Typically you would like to keep the temps below 50C with the CPU under load. My guess is that you still have some room to add more voltage but check the temps before you add more.

Good luck. :beer:

Hey thanks, that answered a lot of my questions.

The only other thing I'm confused about is the preference of Multi vs. FSB

Everybody on this forum seems to want to get their FSB as high as possible eg. 500x7 = 3.5Ghz

But I'm a little confused what's the best multi for the quad?
I've looked on other forums and everyone seems to opt for
330x11 = 3.6ish on the quad, but thats a lower FSB right.... (so mem less tight and slower?)

I not too sure whats the advantage & disadvantage between the two types of multi settings.

I'm running 1:1 and would like to leave my PC on 24/7.
I have EIST and C1E enabled so it runs around 40-45 idle, and about 60C on load @ 3.6Ghz

I'm just not quite sure which multi settings are best for me.

I'll give you a short answer on why ppl wanna go high on the FSB.

Just an EX:
Option1: 300x12 = 3600Mhz
Option2: 600x6 = 3600Mhz

The option 2 is gonna be alot faster than 1, just because you get higher memory bandwidth with it! Hope you get the point of my extreme comparison :)

Thanks, the perfect answer for me.

Just a little strange seeing ppl on the QX6700 using x11 and x12 with a lower FSB.... really confused me.

Just another thing with the different multi's at the same speeds.
Do they run more or less at the same voltages? Or do you have to play around with that seperately too?

So for example, if you work out that 300x12 = 3600Mhz runs stable @ 1.5v core, 1.5v NB
could you use the same voltages for 600x6 = 3600Mhz?

Thanks!!

The voltages set in the bios are subject to calibration error and often questionable. The voltage you see in CPU-Z is a better representation of the voltage going to the CPU, 1.225V.
Uguru is probably the most accurate measure of vcore next to a multimeter , at least if my abit IX38 Quiad gt goes Multimeter Uguru was spot on. , sadly the cpu temp was off, coretemp is best for temps.

Cpu-z is one of the most inaccurate utilities for vcore. At 1.40 & over cpu-0z sticks at 1.235v or so. Check out the screeny here 9x400 12HR Prime Stable CPU-Z = 1.168v Actual 1.407v Right:bang head

Thanks, the perfect answer for me.

Just a little strange seeing ppl on the QX6700 using x11 and x12 with a lower FSB.... really confused me.

Just another thing with the different multi's at the same speeds.
Do they run more or less at the same voltages? Or do you have to play around with that seperately too?

So for example, if you work out that 300x12 = 3600Mhz runs stable @ 1.5v core, 1.5v NB
could you use the same voltages for 600x6 = 3600Mhz?

Thanks!!

I'll do another not so complicated explaination for that question.

Yeah, same voltage on both setups for the CPU that is.

The only differ is that you might wanna go higher with the MCH(also called NB)) voltage along with the higher rated FSB you'll get with option2.
And you'd probably wanna go higher on the vdimm too, as it has higher memory-speed on the option2.

And if you wanna go hardcore, increasing the MCH voltage while overclocking can involve the user to lower the CPU-voltage as it helps the system to get more stable depending on what settings you use.
But basically you'll end up with the same CPU-voltage on both setups.

I wish that I could explain it more deep (as i have the knowledge), thou my english lacks a bit so i'll leave the answer like that. Heh :)

Back