• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

stupid erg

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Phugbox

looky here

Synchronous AT Bus clock with programmable clock
(divided by 2,3,4,5,6)

This I'm guessing is what I'll be needing to overclocker the sucker, but how.
For the love of Pete, the manual doesn't say how!

Get your stinking keys off me you d@mn dirty 486!

ah back to low tech.

Humour me

ok, now in the Bios I can change the AT Bus clock

"Divides the speed of the CPU clock by 3,4,5,6,7, or 8 to match the compatible 8 MHz standard."

What does it all mean and is this what I need.

Pity my idiocy, pardon my ignorance, but for the love of god help me.

I don't think it's fair that none of the articles I saw on the site covered stuff quite this old, but I could be mistaken.

Either way I need help

Phugbox

no tie for drivel, must pop in the Les Claypool and let the bass fly along with his fearless flying frog brigade

This, I think, would be the "oldschool" PCI divisor, but it was probably before the days of PCI. 8MHz may be the equivalent to 8-bit ISA (or whatever it uses) to what 33MHz is to a modern-day PCI bus. Divide your bus speed (20, 25, 30, or 33 MHz) by one of these divisors (2,3,4,5,6,7,or 8) and it should probably be close to 8. Just a guess on my part, though.....

math hurts

Yeah I thought as much, I saw 8 and 33 and the other numbers so just for fun on a hunch I tried dividing 33 by 4 and came up with 8.45 or so.

yeah, It's got an 8 bit ISA slot and 4 16bit slots, woohoo high tech.

thanks.

Now if only someone could give me a step by step for how to do it.
Has no-one overcolocked this cruddy MOBO before? probably not, so if I pull it off I'll have useful tips for once

WEBCOMIC TIME

dead

well, in the OC attempt the motherboard died if only temporarily until someone can figure out how to restore the bios, though it should work if we short the battery and set it back to default, anyone out there looking for 486 age stuff?

Reverse Engineering 101

<pontification>

DX is 33MHz. DX2 is 66.

The AT bus runs at 8 Mhz. Period.

So ... if you want to max out the CPU speed (a true OC), set the CPU to 66 (DX2), and the divider to 8 (66 / 8 ~= 8).

... at least on paper ... I ain't never done it.

</pontification>

I'm rooting for your success.

I understnad that

I understand, miraculously and barely, but I do.
now unfortunately the board can't handle a 66MHz pro, it can only handle a 50 I think it is, so, I simply set the AT Bus divider to whichever divisor gives me a result ~ approximating 8 MHz, this seems simple in retrospect, now, somehow I need to get the thing to boot, so I can get into the Bios to alter that, because since the attempt, the sucker won't turn on even, it won't load ANYTHING, so I'll have to short the battery to reset the Cmos to defaults and then try it again. but that was all just gonna be for kicks anyway, I wasn't gonna run much for it, I'll have a new computer to play games on this time 3 weeks from now, and a year from then i'll OC it, once the warranties are gone.

Gonna have me a dual boot sys.

*this message posted from OpenLinux*
PS gotta get me a better linux OS, preferably free, oh yeah, and very capable.

oh yeah, and them DIVX codec things, for Linux, need them too.

Back