• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E2160 with GA-P35C-DS3R

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jonnyboi303

Hey all i'm another oc n00b. So here's my problem. I'm trying to overclock an E2160 on a GA-P35C-DS3R. I can change the CPU host frequency up to 250/255 Mhz with a multiplier of 9X. I leave the system voltage control on auto and everything works. My computer will see the CPU as running at 2.25 Ghz. However, if I got past 250/255 Mhz to say 260, then the thing won't boot. If I put it at 275 Mhz, it will boot, but the computer will read the CPU as 1.80 Ghz (the stock speed). If I change the voltage setting from auto to manual, then I can change the CPU voltage, but whatever changes i make to the host frequency won't be read (it will always read it as 1.80 Ghz). My BIOS screen is the same as the one here:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=541404&highlight=GA-P35-DS3R

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Also, as a side note, when running at 2.25 Ghz My idle temp is around 30 and my load temp is around 51. Is that high for this speed? What temp would be too high? I'm using an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7.

Thanks

Im pretty sure you still have EIST( Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology )enabled.But im not sure where that is in your bios.But its not in MIT i know that,I think its in advanced bio features.You need to disable that and CIE and Virtualization techonogly

Last edited:
Well it will keep adjusting your cpu multi / FSB and vcore to run as cool as possible.So yeah.Your temps are fine by the way.Also now im thinking your problem might also be the strap your running or the ram settings causing this. Thats why it wont boot at 260(NB timings to tight) but will at 275(at 275 strap timings loosen up allowing OC).That guy has his ram set for turbo.You dont want to use any of Gigabyte's automatic overclocking features disable all those setting and just adjust your FSB / multi's / ram dividers and voltages.Disable any of gigabytes automatic overclocking tool.It took me about 2 weeks to figure out my Gigabyte DS3 when i had one

Last edited:
But then I don't think the EIST is the problem then because it should still let the CPU run at the maximum speed at full load. The problem is that I can get it to run at 2.25 Ghz when I set the frequency to 250 and run Orthos but when I set the frequency to say 275 then the CPU speed seems to default back to the stock speeds.

What is the cpu/mem ratio? If it is 1:1, then try 2:3, or 3:2. I see C.I.A.2 is turned off, you need to do the same to the Performance enhance setting just below it...turn it back to normal to start off with, once you get a stable o'c' you could then play with the turbo and beyond settings in the performance enhance settings.
You could also try the Easytune program that came with the board...it has both easy and advanced modes for overclocking, though I preffer to bo into the cmos and do it myself.

I have the same board as you and it took a while to get it to overclock. You didn't mention the type of ram you're using. This info my help.

System memory multiplier:

2.50 = 4/5
3.00 = 2/3
2.00 = 1/1
2.40 = 5/6
3.20 = 5/8
3.33 = 3/5
4+ = 1/2

I was having a hard time getting my Quad over 2.8ghz until I switched the multiplier to 2.00 . Now I can push it up to 3.4 ghz air cooled but usually leave it at 3.0 ghz for everyday use. One more thing, don't pump too much voltage thru your ram sticks. The stock voltage in the manual says 1.8 volts but its really 2.0 . I check mine with a multi meter after reading on other sites about ram getting cooked with tis board.

Awesome. Thanks guys. I guess I just needed to take the memory multiplier off auto.
I'm using Corsair XMS2 2x1gb sticks. How much voltage would you pump through them. I'm just leaving the system voltage control on auto right now.
Also, do you guys think 60 is an ok temp still or is that too high already? I've seen some people say that 65 is still ok and others that 55 is too high already.

Mine runs at around 58-60 under load with a stock cooler, but I'm gonna get a better cooler to get the temps lower..just haven't made up my mind yet which one to get.

GT3Mich, you say the board runs natively at 2.0v mem even though it says 1.8 in bios? Maybe that is why CPU-Z says that I'm at 1.9v.....because I have it set at 1.8v mem

GT3Mich, you say the board runs natively at 2.0v mem even though it says 1.8 in bios? Maybe that is why CPU-Z says that I'm at 1.9v.....because I have it set at 1.8v mem
I read about the problem in this thread over at Extreme systems.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2323086&highlight=1.8v#post2323086
They had a pic of the area on the PSB to take a measurement.
Here are some pics from my board.
p35c206vread.jpg
p35voltcontact1.jpg
I'm running Crucial Ballistix ram and they need 2.2v so I only upped the voltage in the bios .2

That's kind of dissapointing, is that common to all Gigabyte P35 boards? I know at least one of them (GA-G33M-DS2R in particular, G33 not P35 but close enough :p) have undervolting options for CPU and vMem, maybe the DS3R does as well.

That's kind of dissapointing, is that common to all Gigabyte P35 boards? I know at least one of them (GA-G33M-DS2R in particular, G33 not P35 but close enough :p) have undervolting options for CPU and vMem, maybe the DS3R does as well.
Not as far as I know. The speculation is its because of the DDR2, DDR3 hybrid aspect of the board. I'm not disappointed as long as I know whats going on with the board.

Hey all i'm another oc n00b. So here's my problem. I'm trying to overclock an E2160 on a GA-P35C-DS3R. I can change the CPU host frequency up to 250/255 Mhz with a multiplier of 9X. I leave the system voltage control on auto and everything works. My computer will see the CPU as running at 2.25 Ghz. However, if I got past 250/255 Mhz to say 260, then the thing won't boot. If I put it at 275 Mhz, it will boot, but the computer will read the CPU as 1.80 Ghz (the stock speed). If I change the voltage setting from auto to manual, then I can change the CPU voltage, but whatever changes i make to the host frequency won't be read (it will always read it as 1.80 Ghz). My BIOS screen is the same as the one here:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=541404&highlight=GA-P35-DS3R

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Also, as a side note, when running at 2.25 Ghz My idle temp is around 30 and my load temp is around 51. Is that high for this speed? What temp would be too high? I'm using an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7.

Thanks

My E2160 is set at :
Mult 8.0
FSB 350

memory 2.00v
freq 700

cpu 1.40v
BIOS F10 latest since 30 days ago
should get you started ....many hours spent to fine tune but at this point, the 2 to 3 Percent increase is not worth it in my oppnion...highter temps less life of CPU and the like.

My temps are 31c system, 49c CPU ....Intel says no more than 40C and 70c ....GeminII is my cooler with two high flow CFM of 100 .....heat is the enemy, cooler the better
http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?act=detail&tbcate=152&id=289

Bill

My E2160 is set at :
Mult 8.0
FSB 350

memory 2.00v
freq 700

cpu 1.40v
BIOS F10 latest since 30 days ago
should get you started ....many hours spent to fine tune but at this point, the 2 to 3 Percent increase is not worth it in my oppnion...highter temps less life of CPU and the like.

My temps are 31c system, 49c CPU ....Intel says no more than 40C and 70c ....GeminII is my cooler with two high flow CFM of 100 .....heat is the enemy, cooler the better
http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?act=detail&tbcate=152&id=289

Bill

How unsafe is it / decreased lifespan if running 35-37 idle and 55 / 62 load? In orthos temps push up to 62 but for something like day-to-day full load it's around 48-55C.

Intel's range is up to 70, but I just wonder if I am within a safe range. At stock I get around 55-57C.

Back