• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some expert analysis need. Which pump with my setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jim Morbid

Hey all

Starting to feel really bad because today I've justbeen posting question after question... but anyway:

So I've been slowly assembling parts for my first WC and I've run into trouble trying to decide on the pump. Living in South Africa nothing is readily available and most of things I've gotten have been through kind souls on the classifieds but I just saw I can get Eheim pumps locally and for realatively cheap considering.

My setup will basically at first contain a
  • MCW50 (or a MCW60 if I cant get it to fit)
  • Swiftech Storm
  • Dual 120 Heatercore
  • 1/2 Tubing to all
I might later want to add another card in SLi/xfire so an additional MCW60 or Maze depending what I can find.
I'm looking at the Eheim 1048, 1046, DD CPX 1 and Dtek DB-1 Compact (but I think that is the CPx 1) but like I said I'm a n00b so I'm throwing the decision over to the experts.

Thanks,

JM

I would recommend sticking with the Eheim pumps. Eheims are very good quality pumps and are made to run 24x7. The DD CPX 1 and Dtek DB-1 Compact are both cheap pumps.

Okay, but then the D-Tek DTC-DDC 3.2 (9w) 18v pump is very close to the 1260's price. Between those two?

Another thing, I see there is a DDC 3.1 that is 12V. Is there a big differnce between the two cause I have no idea how to get 18V out of my PSU :p

Thanks,

JM

Being in South Africa I didn't know if you could get your hands on the DDC pumps, which are made by Laing. I'm not sure I understand the 3.1 versus 3.2 question, though. It's my understanding the DDC 3.2 is 12V @ 18W and the DDC 3.1 is 12V but at 9W. Are you sure you read the page right?

The DDC 3.2 (18W) is a very good pump - one of the best, and THE best according to some people. The 9W version is a very quiet pump but I wouldn't use it in SLI. If you can find (and afford) the 18W pump, get it ... :)

Thanks for the reply QuietIce

Here is the link where I can buy the pump locally. Its a D-Tek DDC. I went to D-Tek's website and as you said, I think its a mistake on local site (18W instead of 18V).

JM

The DDC 3.1 is a 12v (actually 9-13.2v range) 9w pump with 10.8ft of head pressure, while the DDC3.2 is also a 12v (9-13.2v range) 18w pump with 15ft of head pressure. If you want a very quiet pump, get the 3.1, if you don't mind a bit more noise, get the 3.2.

I would take the DDC over the eheim as it has more pressure, is a lot smaller, and uses DC instead of AC so it turns on and off with your PSU,

The DDC 3.1 is a 12v (actually 9-13.2v range) 9w pump with 10.8ft of head pressure, while the DDC3.2 is also a 12v (9-13.2v range) 18w pump with 15ft of head pressure. If you want a very quiet pump, get the 3.1, if you don't mind a bit more noise, get the 3.2.

I would take the DDC over the eheim as it has more pressure, is a lot smaller, and uses DC instead of AC so it turns on and off with your PSU,

Also just noticed the AC part on the Eheim. Plus I would need a step up converter (110v to 220v) so the DDC looks like the choice.

Thanks for everyones help!

JM

Back