• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bowed Apogee GT & Lapped C2D?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Froggy

I tried searching using different keywords and failed, so here goes a new thread.

I have recently purchased a Apogee GT that I plan on bowing using the provided fat o-ring. I will orient the WB to maximize its cooling ability with regard to core to water path in the WB, but I need to know if lapping the CPU will provide any additional benefit to the WB/IHS contact. I will have 3-4 rads cooling this, so I will see even minor differences in lowered .CWs so link me or inform me please.

Travis

Equip list for the curios- 2x DDC-1 with PT tops, 7/16 tubing throughout, 1x Apogee GT, 1x VJ ViperVenom IV WB, 1x PA120.2, 1x Swiftech MCR320, 1-2x PA160s, 1x MCRES, 5x YL DS12Ls, & 2x Aerocool Streamliners in a MM Horizon Case.

Well I have an unlidded processor...I know a buddy of mine lapped his IHS and noticed a definite change in temps...but he only uses air.

I found an article that included the following graphic displaying the user's change in temp:
finaldu4.gif

The entire article was on Tom's forums and can be found HERE

Personally though...I thought the whole reason to bow the Apogee GT was to match the IHS on Intel. I may be wrong on this...but I thought that was the reason, as Intel most of the time doesn't produce flat IHS's.

Personally though...I thought the whole reason to bow the Apogee GT was to match the IHS on Intel. I may be wrong on this...but I thought that was the reason, as Intel most of the time doesn't produce flat IHS's.

That is what I thought as well. I just want to double check if there is the additional benefit of increased pressure between the WB & the IHS directly over the cores, thereby creating the absolute maximum heat transfer possible.

Bowing the block is for increasing pressure.
Lapping the cpu is for better contact.

Doing both should yield better temps.

--pak

I thought the increased pressure was supposed to be needed because the Apogee GT does not contact the IHS correctly. Increased pressure can be done by taking the spacers out when installing the Apogee. If you lap the IHS and the Apogee you should have excellent contact with no worries of crushing the core with too much install pressure.

Equip list for the curios- 2x DDC-1 with PT tops, 7/16 tubing throughout, 1x Apogee GT, 1x VJ ViperVenom IV WB, 1x PA120.2, 1x Swiftech MCR320, 1-2x PA160s, 1x MCRES, 5x YL DS12Ls, & 2x Aerocool Streamliners in a MM Horizon Case.
What the hell are you cooling that needs all them rads?

OC'd C2Q and 3-SLI Ultras?

A VJ 8800 Ultra & a C2D, which will become a Quad when Penryn becomes mature & widespread. For me, it's all about running high clocks & the high voltages they require while having a SILENT PC. That is why I have DDC-1s. The DDC-2s & the D5 even at setting 1 makes too much noise for my taste.

Also because I can :)

Let's be honest, water cooling is not about "needs", it is about wants, esp. when these CPU's & video cards will live happily for years at 60-90C

...having a SILENT PC. That is why I have DDC-1s. The DDC-2s & the D5 even at setting 1 makes too much noise for my taste.

Let's be honest, water cooling is not about "needs", it is about wants, esp. when these CPU's & video cards will live happily for years at 60-90C

Its nice to know I am not the only one who thinks the DDC-2/MCP355 is too loud, as well as the D5. I tire of how often people say that a D5 is "silent".

I don't think watercooling is JUST about wants. You are hard pressed to get the performance AND silence that watercooling affords with air even with the cinderblock sized heatsinks used these days.

When I say want, I am inferring the silence along with the performance. We could both use a single MCR220 with a couple of Delta 220CFM fans and reach about the same temps, but we would be deaf in a month.

Back