• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pre-Built PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ronan1888

Ok Ive got a pre-built PC, and I want to overclock it. Now being a pre-built PC it has a terrible MOBO for OCing :bang head . So I was thinking of a P35 as it seems to be quite a respectable mobo. What i want to know is the OS connected to the mobo (if the mobo goes, the OS goes) or is on my hard-drive.

In other words, will anything change should I change my mobo

Thanks, and have a good new year guys :beer:

What brand pre-built?
If it's one of the big names (Dell et al), a mobo replacement is on the right track.

be sure to back up any files or picz on your old system before changing mb. it may work if your chipset is intel but you should do a repair at lest a fresh install is best
rich

It's a Compaq (HP), and ive heard bad stuff about HP's pre-built mobos.

I also havn't actually checked if the BIOS is locked yet, if it is is there way to work around it

and thanks maxio :D

Having worked in computer tech support for about a year and getting asked this question ALOT when systems come in with dead mobos, yes, you can put in a new mobo and you wont lose your os.

If switching to a different mobo with a different NB, you will need to repair your OS.

On the contrary, switching to a mobo with the same NB as your old one, everything will seem as though it never changed. You might have to install some sound drivers, or something small like that, but thats it.

Having worked in computer tech support for about a year and getting asked this question ALOT when systems come in with dead mobos, yes, you can put in a new mobo and you wont lose your os.

If switching to a different mobo with a different NB, you will need to repair your OS.

On the contrary, switching to a mobo with the same NB as your old one, everything will seem as though it never changed. You might have to install some sound drivers, or something small like that, but thats it.

Thanks for the info

This might seem like a stupid Question, but whats an NB? :confused:

Back