• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dumb question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cheator

I've been looking for days and can't find the answer to my question. I recently got an Asus P5K-E WifiAP board with an E4500 clocked at 2.8ghz. So far, I can't get above 2.8, and I think its because the FSB is already at 1050mhz. The question is, how do I lover the FSB? is there a way? Or do I have to give everything a huge crank in voltage?

The multi on that chip is 11 if I am not mistaken, so you are at around 255fsb.
What is it doing?Not booting?Not stable?

That board is good for a heck of alot more than 1050mhz bus. I would try changing the CPU voltage from auto to around 1.4 and start from there.

The multi on that chip is 11 if I am not mistaken, so you are at around 255fsb.
What is it doing?Not booting?Not stable?

That board is good for a heck of alot more than 1050mhz bus. I would try changing the CPU voltage from auto to around 1.4 and start from there.

1.4? that high? I figured most M0 steppings were good for 3.0ghz on stock volts. So is there no FSB divider? I'm an AMD overclocker so I am behind the times.

EDIT: Sorry, when i go above 2.8 it BSODs in Vista.

Blue screen on boot either means 1) not enough voltage to CPU or 2) Memory timings too tight.

I just suggest 1.4(BIOS) because that will likely give you 1.3something in windows (vdroop)which is a good place to start. Intel chips are quad pumped, so your bus speed is divided by 4.

1.4? that high? I figured most M0 steppings were good for 3.0ghz on stock volts. So is there no FSB divider? I'm an AMD overclocker so I am behind the times.

EDIT: Sorry, when i go above 2.8 it BSODs in Vista.

Don't take for granted that all M0's will do 3.0ghz on stock-voltage :)

1.4v isn't that high imho, you should be safe with that voltage. What cooling are you running?

And yes, there should be a FSB-divider in your BIOS.

Blue screen on boot either means 1) not enough voltage to CPU or 2) Memory timings too tight.

I just suggest 1.4(BIOS) because that will likely give you 1.3something in windows (vdroop)which is a good place to start. Intel chips are quad pumped, so your bus speed is divided by 4.
I tried 1.4 and it was more stable but I still got BSOD when I went past 2.9 ghz for some reason... I am not sure why. I added some voltage to the PLL, Northbridge, and Southbridge, and it would not get stable.

just for comparrisson -

I have: E4600 @ 3.2GHz at stock volts for everything on ye olde P5W DH board orthos stable, as in my sig.

You should be able to reach 3.0GHz.

I would do a memtest, maybe your memory is not playing fair

Memtest for 12 hours checks out it seems. Its nice ram too and brand new so I don't imagine thats the problem. Thanks for the suggestion though, I should have checked it before asking.

Don't take for granted that all M0's will do 3.0ghz on stock-voltage :)

1.4v isn't that high imho, you should be safe with that voltage. What cooling are you running?

And yes, there should be a FSB-divider in your BIOS.
I am running the OCZ Vanquisher. Temps are a little high too, but I imagine its the AS5 slowly kicking in. Idling at 40 and max at 63 when the voltage is 1.4v.

Do you know of what the FSB divider could be called? I can't find it.

Anyone know where the FSB divider is? I am not sure why I can't get past 2.8 stably...
It's under Jumperfree Configuration when in manual mode. You pick your FSB and you'll see the memory speed change. FSB=400 Memory=800(not sure the exact wording) is 1:1. If you + or - the memory you'll see it increase while applying different dividers. You won't see a divider value like 5/6, just the actual memory frequency. You cannot clock your memory slower than the FSB with this chipset, and most other Intels I believe.

It's under Jumperfree Configuration when in manual mode. You pick your FSB and you'll see the memory speed change. FSB=400 Memory=800(not sure the exact wording) is 1:1. If you + or - the memory you'll see it increase while applying different dividers. You won't see a divider value like 5/6, just the actual memory frequency. You cannot clock your memory slower than the FSB with this chipset, and most other Intels I believe.

I can do that but that just changes the speed of the ram. My FSB is still the same and I still get instabilities.

Your FSB will always be at one value, on intels, the divider is for making your ram go at higher speeds or lower speeds according to your FSB.

But your board should handle your OC without a problem, so i think you lack some volts for either CPU, MCH or such.

I can do that but that just changes the speed of the ram. My FSB is still the same and I still get instabilities.
Well you asked about where the divider was. You want more FSB, raise the value....... You don't pick your RAM speed and then FSB, you adjust your FSB and then get a selection of RAM speeds based on the which divider you're using, keep your FSB:RAM at 1:1 and worry about pushing the RAM higher later if possible. Play with the volts right now as suggested, but not every chip is a winner. My first E6600 wouldn't go over 3ghz no how. Second one I have now does pretty good.

Well you asked about where the divider was. You want more FSB, raise the value....... You don't pick your RAM speed and then FSB, you adjust your FSB and then get a selection of RAM speeds based on the which divider you're using, keep your FSB:RAM at 1:1 and worry about pushing the RAM higher later if possible. Play with the volts right now as suggested, but not every chip is a winner. My first E6600 wouldn't go over 3ghz no how. Second one I have now does pretty good.

Ah ok. Thanks guys. I'll play with the volts again and see if I an improve airflow in the P180.

Back