• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

790i- DDR2 and or DDR3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jdmnash

Registered
I know that the new 790i is said to have DDR3 support. Will it also have DDR2 support? or maybe different boards will support different (one or the other or both) standards? Is this determined by the chipset itself? or is this option up to the mobo manufacturer?
thanks, jart

does anyone know for sure? I've seen some say only DDR3 in some of the nvidia forums but I don't want to believe them ;) (see sig) any possibility of some boards coming out with support for both like the x48? I'm just trying to find a solution where I can keep my ram, and use dual sli w/ pciE 2.0 with the option to go tri-sli. the x48 i feel is better developed as it is being manufactured on the same pcb as the x38. It dosen't have the clutter of the 780i setup with the "almost 3 pcie 2.0" slots. Intel also promises better performance with DDR2 memory using an upgraded mem controller. I'm tempted to flip sides and go with the x48 xfire w/ a nice ati graphics card. would it be worth it to go with intel's x48 chipset and kiss nvidia cards goodbye? any other ideas are welcome.

Last edited:
Back