• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFX 780i question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dop3y

I just recently got a 780i board from a retailer by my house. I have read that the EVGA version has already had a BIOS update release. I have looked around for a BIOS update for the XFX version and cannot find one. Would the BIOS update from EVGA work on the XFX board? The problems i am having are he power led is off when my comp is on and it is on when my comp i off. I am slo having an issue where on the post screen i get an error stating the floppy drive failed. I do not have a floppy and i have looked in the BIOS o see where i can turn it off and cannot seem to locate it. If anyone could help me with this that would be great.

Thanks in advance

ok now i have another question. Everytime i get on to play counterstrike my PC gets a blue screen with a bunch of text and an error stating driver_irql_not_less_or_equal. Has anybody ever cam across this problem before? How would you stop this? Is it BIOS related?
System Specs:
XFX 780 SLI
2 8800GT in SLI
4G (4 X 1) Crucial Ballistic 4-4-4-12 timings
E6550 @ 2.3Ghz
300G Maxtor HD
160G Maxtor HD
750W TT PSU
XP Pro

Last edited:
I am having issues with this board as well. I keep getting all kinds of BSOD and also it seems like my HD was corrupted. I would reboot and then windows would run checkdisk and find errors. I completely reformatted and still have issues. I installed Windows XP while at stock speeds and still am now having issues.

I ran Memtest and my ram is fine.

I really want to flash the bios, but cannot find one, other than the EVGA bios.

What video card drivers are you using? I tried both 169.09 beta and the 169.21.

XFX780I
2 8800GT in SLI
Q6600
(2) 2 gig sticks of GSkillPC1000
1000 Watt ToughPower
XFI Sound Card
WD 75 GIg Raptor
WINXP Pro

Last edited:
I'm having the exact same power LED problem with my EVGA 780i. I haven't really tried to troubleshoot it yet (because it doesn't bother me enough) so I can't provide much help on that one. Sounds like it may be a common problem though.

As for the driver_irql_not_less_or_equal blue screen, I've seen this error a couple times. It happened to me on my DFI 680i board when I used a beta BIOS and the mobo started fing up pretty bad. I'm guessing you either have a corrupt BIOS or you need to RMA that mobo.

You can try flashing the BIOS to the same version. If it was corrupt that may fix it. If you got a corrupt BIOS chip that won't fix it. Also be aware that sometimes flashing screws stuff up worse.

Well i just flashed to the updated BIOS and everything seems ok but only time will tell. I am running everything at stock speeds until i make sure everything is fine. Are you having problems with the floppy disk failed error? I dont have one but yet i get an error.
My video drivers version is 169.28. The new winflash is great for flashing your BIOS by the way. Thanks for the link. I checked that last night but didnt find one.

Thanks

I flashed the bios as well and have not had any errors.
Here is when I have issues. I load windows (has SP2 on the install disk) with no problems and then install drivers in this order:

Mobo chipset
Video card
monitor
mouse
sound card

Then I go out and get all the windows updates. I start having problems when I install .net framework. I never had issues before, but now I get install failures and it takes a bit to get them installed. When I reboot, I end up going into checkdisk and finding errors all over the c drive.

No problems with the floppy disk and I do not have one either. I turned it off in the bios, there is an option to disable the FDD Controller.

Is it just me or does it seem like the ethernet drivers take quite a bit longer to install than they did on the 680i chipset?

Is it just me or does it seem like the ethernet drivers take quite a bit longer to install than they did on the 680i chipset?

They seem like they loaded the same for me. It just takes a bit for my PC to connect to the internet through my modem. Not sure why but its always the same. I have to unplug the modem for like 5 minutes and then it still takes like 3 minutes to connect. lol

Well my computer is running smooth now. The Power LED problem still persists though. I think my problems were due to trying to load windows with the pc overclocked.

Yeah, I have gottent the blue screen with "IRQ not less or equal" a couple of times too.

I downloaded the new bios, but how do I use it? It is just a bin file.

Yeah, I have gottent the blue screen with "IRQ not less or equal" a couple of times too.

I downloaded the new bios, but how do I use it? It is just a bin file.

Just download the new software for control panel and update your bios through that. You can find the link to the software on the package the cd drivers came in. I would advise you not to install the ntune that came with the board as it caused me problems.

Ntune is always a problem with the last 6 or so Nvidia chipsets. It is some of the worst software known to man. I think they have a monkey writing that program.

To reflash your bios you should use a 3.5 inch floppy drive and diskette.

However, I beleive that XFX is one of few companys who does not release a downloadable .BIN image of an updated bios to flash with a floppy drive.
This being the case reflash the P05 bios from windows with the utility found on the XFX website (if this is too much technical jargon tell me :)
Hope this helps

PS I own a 780i eVGA Board; anyone have a dos flash tool to repair a corrupt bios? I have the new bios bin file but cannot find a good flasher to do the job.

To reflash your bios you should use a 3.5 inch floppy drive and diskette.

However, I beleive that XFX is one of few companys who does not release a downloadable .BIN image of an updated bios to flash with a floppy drive.
This being the case reflash the P05 bios from windows with the utility found on the XFX website (if this is too much technical jargon tell me :)
Hope this helps

PS I own a 780i eVGA Board; anyone have a dos flash tool to repair a corrupt bios? I have the new bios bin file but cannot find a good flasher to do the job.

Hey mini_mi802, I just had to do this myself for a friend's XFX 780i motherboard.

You can get Award Flash v8.29 from the Asus 780i P5N-T Deluxe web page under BIOS utilities.

Worked fine on the XFX board - should also be ok for the eVGA board as they are identical to the XFX boards (except for the stickers, lol).

To flash the bios (at least the evga one anyways) you just burn the image supplied and the inbuilt bios flash utility will do the rest. As I recall the pwr led issue on the evga was pretty common as well, the P04 bios fixed it. As far as the BSOD you got, I had that as well and the 4gb ram patch for vista fixed that for me.

Back