• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newcomer to WC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firestrider

Hi, I've actually never bought an aftermarket heatsink for air cooling and figured I should just start off with water cooling. I read over some of the watercooling stickies and listened to the podcast and it seems like a fun project. I'm looking for the cheapest watercooling I can get, hopefully in the $60-80 range :eek:. I plan on using a heatercore and t-line (unless there is a cheaper setup) - here's some materials I picked out so far:

10ft Masterkleer Tubing 1/2" ID 3/4" OD '5233K68' = $7.10
1/2" Nylon T-fitting = $0.99
Via Aqua 2300 PowerHead Pump 3/4" barbed fittings = $23
Steel worm gear clamps = ??
1/2" Unpainted Pro-120 Core = $19.99
AM2 socket waterblock = ??

The cheapest water block I could find was $19.99 (White Water) but it was for AMD socket A.

60-80 :eek: ???

it is pretty much proven the best air cooling overtakes bad w/c
you are not going to be able to find a block that cheap that shows results, you will also need a good set of fans unless you are trying to go passive.

what is a heatercore is it the same as a rad?

a heatercore is very similar to a radiator but it is from a car.

if you have that kind of budget then you need to go air cooling as a quality cpu waterblock will definately eat up your entire budget..

a quality pump ~>$50
radiator ~>$70
fans $30+ (possibly)
tubing ~$10
barbs and connectors ~>10
gfx block (optional) ~same as cpu block

*note this is just a guesstimate off of the top of my head

What if I increased my budget to $100? I can get the heatercore free, and have the fans already. Will this be enough? I don't want QUALITY watercooling, just enough to get by.

Yea , get a nice pump . keep your eyes open in the classies . some very nice deals to be found there . You should be able to get the block and pump in your 100$ budget from the classies.

60-80 :eek: ???

it is pretty much proven the best air cooling overtakes bad w/c
you are not going to be able to find a block that cheap that shows results, you will also need a good set of fans unless you are trying to go passive.

Just because it's inexpensive doesn't mean it's bad. "Bad water" references the likes of Thermaltake, Gigabyte (though I hold them above the "bad" guys for using 3/8" tubing and a decent block), and the worst offender, Koolance. An Apogee, Via Aqua, Heatercore setup would definitely be better than air, just more work than a D5, Thermochill setup ;).

What if I increased my budget to $100? I can get the heatercore free, and have the fans already. Will this be enough? I don't want QUALITY watercooling, just enough to get by.

A $100 setup sounds possible. Since your radiator is free that gives you more money to spend on other parts.

A White Water with an AM2 compatible USMA plate will work just fine. You'll need to bolt the plate to the waterblock using some 6-32 bolts and nuts. A little thread locker wouldn't hurt either. That takes up about $30-35 of your budget including shipping.

In terms of pumps, Dtek also has the D5 pump on sale for $70 as well as their own pump for sale at $45. The latter doesn't appear to be C Systems based so it should be rather reliable.

If you don't mind using an AC pump (personally I'd get a DC pump considering how your budget is working out), the Via Aqua series would be just fine though I'd recommend the 1800 since it has a lower heat dump than the 2300 and is a bit smaller. You'll have to get some 3/8" NPT, 1/2" barbs for the 1800 which aren't expensive by any means. Home Depot will carry them. You're probablly looking at another $30-$35 when it's all said and done.

Also, this little pump works pretty well. I have one and it seems rather reliable. Only ~$28 depending on the conversion rate (canadian based retailer). It also comes in a dual pump configuration for ~$51.

These pumps were listed in terms of performance more or less. The double pump configuration of the last one would be better suited to the White Water than the single would be. If you do get one of the latter two, get the 1/2" barbs, the 3/8" compression fittings they supply are pretty much useless for thick walled tubing.

For tubing, Masterklear from McMaster.com is a good option.

Happy hunting :).

Edit: good suggestion Console. I picked up a D4 for my brother for ~$40 last year. A good deal definitely. Also a lot of people are getting rid of their older waterblocks including Swiftech Storms and other good blocks.

Last edited:
I have never done it, but lots of folks back in the day used a Via Aqua 1300 aqaurium pump & epoxied barbs to make it work for PC water cooling. I think the pumps were like 20 bucks & performed on par with a Ehiem 1048 IIRC.

Edit- Found a link(20 bucks!) Oldie but goodie linky!

2nd Edit- Found an old article that compares this pump to several others. Looks like it was much closer to a Ehiem 1250 Pump. Article Link

Last edited:
The 1800 is the 1300's big brother. It's a little more powerful at the same pressure drop and it uses less electricity. Also it might be a bit quieter or at least not suffer from as many impeller issues. Not 100% sure on that one but thats what I gather from discussions here.

Back