• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Maximus Extreme Build or eVGA 780 Build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shootingblanks

Option 1:

CPU: Q6600 GO Stepped
CPU Heatsink: D-Tek Fuzion
MOBO: Asus Maximus Extreme
GFX: (2) Sapphire HD3870 512MB ATI Radeon
GFX Cooling: (2) Waterblocks (need to research)
Memory: 2GB CellShock PC 14400
PSU: PC & Cooling Silencer 750W

Pros
# Comes with N/B waterblock to counteract the high temps that the N/B has
# Highly overclockable
# Supports newest Intel CPU's
# Supports new 1333 & 1600 MHz FSB
# On board power/reset/clear CMOS switches
# PCIe 2.0
# Supports new Penryn chips
# Extensive BIOS Features
# Great Performance
# Stable

Cons
# Requires expensive DDR3 Memory
# Does not overclock as well as their DDR2 cousins do
# Platforms and modules need to mature more
# 3 year warranty
# Poor customer service

Option 2:

CPU: Q6600 GO Stepped
CPU Heatsink: D-Tek Fuzion
MOBO: eVGA nForce 780i
GFX: (2) EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS (G92) 512MB
GFX Cooling: (2) EK-FC8800GTS Full Cover WB
Memory: 2GB OCZ 1066 SLI-Ready
PSU: PC & Cooling Silencer 750W

Pros
# # Comes with N/B waterblock to counteract the high temps that the N/B has
# Three-way SLI for the ultimate gaming machine
# Overclockable
# Supports Intel 45nm Duo & Quad core processors, but only the 1333 MHz processors are actually fully supported.
# Supports 1333 MHz FSB
# DDR2 speeds of DDR2-1200 and beyond can be used to keep pace with overclocked system components with full support for SLI-Ready memory (EPP)
# PCIe 2.0
# CPU thermal diode LED, located next to the CPU fan pins. It turns red when abnormal CPU heat is detected.
# Great Performance
# Stable
# Lifetime Warranty
# Excellent customer service

Cons
# SPP (Northbridge) generates a serious amount of heat. Known to idle at 50 degrees celcius and 70 degrees celcius under load.
# This motherboard uses solid aluminum capacitors on the voltage regulator circuit. This is great because it prevents the infamous capacitor leakage problem. The other electrolytic capacitors used on this motherboard, however, are regular ones, manufactured by Samxon, which is a Chinese company (Japanese capacitors are better). This motherboard also uses iron chokes on the voltage regulator circuit, while tier 1 manufacturers like Gigabyte and ASUS are using ferrite chokes on their high-end products, which offer a lower power loss.

Parts I will be using for new build from my current set up will be the following:

CoolerMaster Stacker STC-TO1
2 x 36.7GB WD Raptors(Raid 0)
1 Hitachi 160GB 7200RPM SATA 7K250 Hard Drive
SB Audigy 2 ZS
Alphacool Laing DDC Pump
Black Ice XtremeII equiped w/ DD Stacker Shroud w/2 Sanyo Denki San Ace Fans
Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Hi-Flo Reservoir
Vantec 305 Nexus Fan Controller
LG 246WP
Windows XP Pro w/SP2

Parts I will be ordering:

Black Ice Xtreme Radiator
Alphacool Laing DDC Pump
D-Tek Fuzion
(2) EK-FC8800GTS Full Cover WB
Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Hi-Flo Reservoir
15 feet of Tygon tubing

If I go with the 780i I will be using a waterblock on the SPP (Northbridge) to counteract the high temps. This will also eliminate the stock heatsink fan on the SPP blowing unwanted heat on the backside of my video card. I will have to research for a waterblock. Any helpful suggestions for a good waterblock are needed.

I plan to implement a 2 loop configuration. The first loop will consist of the processor and north bridge. The second loop will consist of the video cardsam considering running the video cards in a seperate loop on which ever configuration I opt for.

Since the computer build revolves most importantly on my motherboard choice, my goals are to have a system that overclocks well, with stability, and performs well in games like COD4.

I have always bought Asus motherboards like the Asus P4C 800 E Deluxe and Asus A8N32-SLI Dekuxe. Both overclocked rather well and ran stable. Always dependable and had no complaints or problems.

With the two configurations listed above, which one would you recommend and why?

Be sure to list pros or cons that I might have overlooked. I have been looking at both boards and reading reviews pretty extensively.

Thanks for the helpful insight.

Last edited:
Yes I have researched the SE version and have tryed to obtain one via retail. The board was limited production and all have been sold.

I can acquire a vanilla Asus Maximus Formula, but with the rather toasty northbridge chip temps, I would have to remove the stock heatsinks and put a swiftech MCW30 waterblock on it.

Asus used a rather strong and stick thermal compound, and the process of removing the stock heatsinks on the vanilla version requires careful attention to detail.

I have researched and reviewed many threads and most use a hair dryer on the heatsinks and wiggle it left and right and pull gently up when the blocks heat up and start to wiggle. From what I have read you never want to pull up on the heatsink hard cause I seen a thread where an individual removed his northbridge chip when removing his heatsink. It was not a pretty sight. But I think I can do it from my previous experience with messing with Asus boards.

I have researched and reviewed many threads and most use a hair dryer on the heatsinks and wiggle it left and right and pull gently up when the blocks heat up and start to wiggle. .

Yep, did that and it worked like a charm. only took maybe....1 min of hot air to move it. then a little bit more to get that horrible thermal stuff off. We replaced it with arctic silver and the heatsinks were noticeably much hotter.

I HIGHLY recommend replacing the thermal compound.

And if the hair dryer dosent work for you, put you MB in the fridge for a while.

Also im not responsible if you wreak you mb ..blah blah blah, i'll post up a small tutorial latter, once I get my pictures from WizardJames.

Some of the pros about the 780i are a bit wrong I think??

1 I dont think you can tri SLI with the 8800GTS or even an 8800GT ? You need the even more expensive 8800 ultra or GTX...

2 And I cant remember an evga 780i MB with a built in NB water block (which it probably needs)?

I personally don't like buying boards that are brand new out of the gates. Usually some problems that need to be ironed out. I'm more than happy being an early adopter of other tech, just not motherboards.

Back