• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Evga 680i and quads?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Elluzion

i have heard that the evga 680i sli mobo has problems with quads. What exactly? and how doesit overclock?

p.s i dont want to fork down the extra money for a 780i mobo

also im in a bit of a dilhema, i am building verrry soon (i want to buy all of my parts in the next week or so)

so anyways i could either get a 8800gt and an ip35 pro mobo

or i could get sli 8800gt sli with a 680i board (but i already bought a 520hx psu) < not sure if it can power the cards, i am prettty sure johnnyguru or somebody proved that it could easily.

btw both of these options are with a Q6600.

Last edited:
From what I've seen the 680i will run the quads (current ones, not the new 45nm ones coming out) but it doesnt like to overclock them.

I would go with the ip35 pro, its great board and you dont really need sli except for very high resolutions and high benchmark scores. And it overclocks like a champ :)

I dropped my SLI setup for this ip35-pro and am very happy! didnt notice a difference gaming but the benchmarks scores dropped alot.

I agree with tjh566.

I ran a quad on a 680i but it never really behaved that well overclocking. eVGA claims to support the current generation quads with the 680i but my limited experience at least raises a question in my mind. Don't know if it was a weird board or the combo of board&quad. :bang head

Exactly, it overclocks duos ok, not great but ok, ~470fsb is around the most i could get out of the board, where as on the ip35 pro ive goten to 515, the cpu's FSB wall.

I've got the DFI 680i and I max out at 3.25Ghz, at that is the best I can do...

yeah, i'm one of the unfortunate ones too... 3.2GHz is all i can keep stable on my XFX MB-N680-ISH9 (nevermind the heat issues i have). i can get into windows at 3.4, but eventually lockup or restart. 3.6, 3.8 won't even attempt to start windows.

i scoured everyone's bios/volt settings in this thread, but nothing really worked for me. spent 4 hours trying again last night.. eventually came back to 3.2Ghz. plenty of people report 3.6 and 3.8Ghz 24/7, but not here :( :bang head

heat seems to be another problem with these combos. i recently reseated my TRUE but my prime95 max core is still over 71C all the time. it dips to 69C occasionally, but it peaked at 84C (according to hwmonitor) at some point during an 11 hour prime last night!!!

i've tried new RAM, tried changing the airflow in the case, reseated the HS, my HS seems to be flat. the cpu might be slightly concave ... need to retest and reseat again. i'm not going to lap just yet. oh, and i did the vdroop pencil mod.. although i'm not sure it helped the droop as well as other reported. eg BIOS was 1.4, cpu-z was 1.336 and dipped to 1.328... but i may just need to brush over it again to fix that

Last edited:
I've got the DFI 680i and I max out at 3.25Ghz, at that is the best I can do...

yeah, i'm one of the unfortunate ones too... 3.2GHz is all i can keep stable on my XFX MB-N680-ISH9 ....

torin3 and leftheaded, I noted above in a post that I had problems with the 680i and my quad. That problem was the same you note, i.e. poor performance.

I'm guessing that while the 680i claims to support the quads (it does run) that it does a poor job of it. There is a reasonable amount of discussion of that subject on various forums. Per chance you have a dual core C2D available and are willing to take the time, try the dualie and see what your board will do.

I fully understand if you don't want to take the time, it would be pain in the a**. :beer:

Per chance you have a dual core C2D available and are willing to take the time, try the dualie and see what your board will do.
i don't have one, but i wanted to test this. i almost bought one off the classifieds, but thought that would be silly just to do it. i'll have to live with not knowing lol :beer:

i think i'm cutting rope and going to try something else. low oc and heat are killing any love i might have for SLi. today, i'm thinking single ultra with a solid OC on p35/x38. idk.. i'm keeping an eye on the 780i threads

i don't have one, but i wanted to test this. i almost bought one off the classifieds, but thought that would be silly just to do it. i'll have to live with not knowing lol :beer:

i think i'm cutting rope and going to try something else. low oc and heat are killing any love i might have for SLi. today, i'm thinking single ultra with a solid OC on p35/x38. idk.. i'm keeping an eye on the 780i threads

Ya, I did "cut rope" and moved on to another chipset. I've got a 680i that I can trade up. I'm going to do that but will probably just sell the 780i at that point. Life's too short to be a beta tester for motherboard manufacturers. Well actually the pay is too poor (as in none).

Back