• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie, 1st Build, Scared to Death, Input Please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jrank001

Hi All:

This is my first post and I’m a little nervous. I want to build my first PC and quite frankly I’m scared to death. I have a headache from all the research I’ve done. Information overload for sure. I’d like some opinions as most newbie’s do. Here is my current set up:

Motherboard:
Intel DG965RY, Chip Set P965/G965

Processor:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400. Stepping 6, Revision B2. Model F. 2.13 GHz

Memory:
Kingston DDR2, PC2-5300 (333MHz) 2 Gig total.

DVD Rom:
Light-On Combo SOHC-5236V 52x32x52

DVD RW:
Light-On DVDRW SHW-160P6S ATA Device 16X DVD+/-RW

Video Card:
ATI All-In-Wonder X800XL

Hard Drives:
Two WD 1600JS-22NCB1 ATA Device 160Bc SATA

Sound Card:
Creative SC Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)

Card Reader:
Mitsumi 7 in 1 Reader

Case:
Antec Sonata II

Power Supply:
Antec U-Quite 380w PS

Here is what I am thinking of putting together after all the reading I’ve done. Now I’m not an overclocker, but I want to run this system up there to about 3.0GHz to take advantage of the components I am thinking about getting.

Motherboard:
ABIT IP35 PRO. What is the latest revision for this board? Or a IX38 Quad GT

Processor:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, SLACR, G0 Stepping

Cooling:
ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

Memory:
Mushkin eXtreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2-1066 CL 5-5-4-12 EPP Ready Dual Channel Kit Retail 996535

DVD Rom:

DVD RW:
Lite-On Super-Multi LH20A1H Lightscribe DVD Burner - 20x DVD±R Burn, 16x DVD±R Read, 8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD±R DL, 12x DVD-RAM, Internal

Video Card:
Sapphire Atomic HD 3870

Hard Drives:
Two, WD 150, 10,000 Raptors. I want to use in a RAID 0 configuration.
Two WD Caviar SE16 500GB Hard Drives - 7200, 16MB, SATA-300, OEM. Used for Storage

Sound Card:
Will use onboard with MOBO

Card Reader:

Case:
CoolerMaster Stacker 830 SE (Black)

Power Supply:
PC Power & Cooling / Silencer / 750-Watt / Quad PCI-Express / SATA-Ready / Black Power Supply

I will be using this system for everyday use, a little gaming and some video editing.

Can I have some thoughts on this? Should I even bother based on what I am going to use it for compared to what I have already? Is there anything you would change in this set up?

Thanks in advance

It looks fine. The only thing I noticed was the HS..

Instead of the Zalman I would look at the Thermalright 120 ultra extreme.

You did your research well my friend! :) I wouldn't go with the IX38 Quad GT though. Its not stable right now (I'm sure it will be but I don't like being a guinea pig). The IP35 Pro seems to be the favorite right now.

just do it, if it doesnt work, troubleshoot it. pc not gunna hit ya. oh i like the 2nd combo btw

I recommend a different cooler unless you really like the look of the Zalman.
TR Ultra Extreme or another big aluminum tower.

Thanks for the input everyone. I looked at the Thermalright 120 ultra extreme. That is not a complete package is it? I mean I have to buy a fan separately or is it ready to go the way it is?

Is there a Rev for the IP35 PRO I should get?

Any memory ideas?

Thanks

Thanks for the input everyone. I looked at the Thermalright 120 ultra extreme. That is not a complete package is it? I mean I have to buy a fan separately or is it ready to go the way it is?

Any memory ideas?

Thanks

You would need to purchase a fan separately, however it will outperform the Zalman.

Since everyone seemed to forget...:welcome: to the forums.

Is that dvd burner you chose of the sata type? I would look to the sata type simply for the slimmer cords. I would still get a dvd-rom drive or another burner when you want to copy other stuff.
Next I would skip the two 500gb drives for one terabyte drive instead.

There has been alot of reports on the machining on the TR-120x being sub par. Meaning you might have to lap your HS yourself. Just something to consider. I think most people on these forums lap their HS anyways. Theres a guide somewhere on these forums to doing it. Not that tough.

Last edited:
Hi Jrank ... like most of the oc member i will go with another cooler for my cpu ... the thermalright 120 extreme is one of the best out there with a configuration of push / pull fan set up ... and maybe i'll give a try to the ozc vendetta ... review link ..

5-8.jpg

6-8.jpg

your choice for you video card seam logic

12.jpg

... so to take all the adventage of this great gpu why don t go with the abit ix38 quad gt ... pcie 2.0 and 2 full pcie 16x so if you wanna go with cross fire you will be ready ...

no good luck and keep us updated ... :beer:

WELCOME

id wait for a Q9450 and grab a 8800GT instead of the Ati

and seagates drives... but thats just me

Dont worry it cant go wrong , since its not an AMD ...joking

just take ur time , and ask the forums if u run into interogations...

Last edited:
welll i got a q6600 and im getting a 120 ultra extream ect...

and i didnt want to lap the q6600 yet because i felt it was to early to void the warrantie (befor trying it) so i was wondering would it helped if i just lapped the hs... thnx

Two, WD 150, 10,000 Raptors. I want to use in a RAID 0 configuration.
Two WD Caviar SE16 500GB Hard Drives - 7200, 16MB, SATA-300, OEM. Used for Storage

Save the money....ditch the raid0 idea...see my sig...

raid0 has gained me 0 net performance increase.
I have twice the space with raptor speed, but it is not worth the
extra 170 bucks. People, the reviews and articles ARE correct...raid0
has no place for the desktop.

First, :welcome: Hope you enjoy the experience! Loads of good folks here with a diverse set of opinions (all with value).

A couple of "minor" points to provoke thought, not necessarily change:
- almost any cooler including the stock one will get ya to 3Ghz. The ones suggested will typically run you at a lower CPU temp and that is of value (although I'm not sure any of us run a machine long enough that a longer CPU life due to cooler temps comes into play).
- that is a HECK of a lot of storage, I assume your video editing drives that requirement?
- RAID value is in the eye of the beholder. What do you plan on using for safety (a.k.a. backup)? RAID 10 or 5? It all costs money.
- RAID controller cards such as 3ware or Areca allow you to change motherboards by moving the card to the next board. But they cost $s.
- video card: the eternal ATI versus Nvidia debate.

Enjoy whatever you decided!! :beer:

Any memory ideas?

Thanks

Welcome and to answer your question on the rev- IP35 PRO- I think the latest rev is still v1.1 (could be wrong). I have the q6600 GO and IP35 PRO v1.1 combo and did not have to flash the bios (if this was what you were getting at in asking about the rev). No problems with this combo, been good to me, 3.0 gHz should be a piece of cake.

No the 120 extreme is not a complete package, it's pretty big, should fit in your case no problem, and performs superbly. If you got this route, grab a 120mm fan to go with it.

Crucial Ballistix pc6400 are great....wait a sec...I'm just reading from my sig!!!:)

Make sure you get a floppy drive and a couple disks.

Pretty sure you need to make a bootable floppy to setup a raid array.

I would also go with an nvidia card, but thats just me.

Overall, looks good.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback!

BigDan3131:
No those are not SATA but I’ve changed that to ones that are.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3189552&sku=L12-1132 OEM
Going to get the 1T also. Great for the video.

Causti1c:
I don’t know what Lap means and can’t find the guide you mentioned.

Studoo7:
Great pics! I like that cooler but if there is a lot of prep work to do I’m not sure I have the knowledge or skills yet to make that happen. The ix38 quad gt is new and potentially buggy from what I’ve read. I’m not sure I should do that on my first build and then be stuck trouble shooting something I know nothing about how to do.

Frankkesel:
The Q9450 looks very nice but also will most probably be out of my price range when it’s released. I’ve read $316 somewhere on Jan 15th? Will keep options open on all good video cards.

Stiletto:
I’ve read good and bad about the RAID set up. My neighbor has it and loves it. I have the drives already. Why no place for a desk top?

Deepsnow:
Yes I will be doing some family video editing so that is why the 1T HDD.
My back up will be the 1T. All my personal stuff will be on that drive. The RAID drives will just be apps and OS.

Jmsanders2:
I’ll make sure I get the IP35 PRO rev 1.1. I’m glad the 120 extreme will fit. The Crucial Ballistix pc 6400 memory works on that MOBO well. Is this it?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1558870&CatId=2261

Shiggity:
I’ll take that advice and get a floppy. Is and external good enough? Or can a usb stick work like maxio098ui mentioned?

One of my biggest fears is installing the Processor and the chosen heat sink. I’ve read that some folks have cracked there brand new MOBO’s by over tightening and some poor fit up added to that.

Thanks again everyone

Back